98 Honda accord LX auto

bluerb240

Reaction score
Hi everyone, in need of some help. I just changed the heater core and head gasket on my girl friends accord and now the car will not crank. Key on dash lights up but the door open indicators are all lit up and the brake light is on. The green Key symbol is not on and nothing happens when you turn the key. I'm certain I plugged everything back in when I put the dash back together and everything is plugged in on the engine side after the head job. Motor spins freely by hand just no crank. Ohhh and the car won't shift out of Park with the key on and brake pedal pressed? The brake lights do work so I don't think the switch is bad since it worked fine before everything came apart.

rooky

Reaction score
Heater core has nothing to do with cranking the engine. You need to re-trace your steps for me to understand you better.

[*]Did you re-adjust the timing?
(Motor spins freely by hand just no crank)

[*]Are the spark plugs gap correctly?

[*]Did you plug back the ignition wire?

[*]What cause you to replace the head gasket in the first place?

[*]Has for the car not shifting out of park maybe your battery ain't good or you need to locate the solenoid down by the shift lever.

[*]Check the little fuses that control things like fuel pump & etc...

bluerb240

Reaction score
I took the dash harness from the right all the way to the left to get the dash out of the car. Plugged everything back in or at least I think everything back in when I reinstalled the dash and now no crank, no fuel pump prime. I hear a relay click that's about all the happens now.

Motor spins freely by hand, checked that after I reinstalled the head. When I say no crank I mean the starter doesn't even kick the motor over at all, nothing happens.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Does the car read that it is in park? Maybe try starting it in neutral.

Does the radio shut off while in the start position? Maybe you have a bad ignition switch.

Do you have a multimeter? Check for your 12V signal at the starter while cranking. If it's there, you have a bad starter. If you don't have it, check for the 12V signal in the fuse box going to the relay while cranking. There should always be power at two of the pins while cranking. If you have it at two pins but not the actual starter, replace the relay.

bluerb240

Reaction score
Car doesn't read it's in park or any of the gears. I did try to start it in Neutral too still no go.

The radio shuts off when you try to start it.

I'll check the 12v signal at the starter today and report back.

bluerb240

Reaction score
Got it figured out now. It was a ground on the PGM-FI relay that was bad. Fixed the ground all works like it should. I used the FSM to diagnose the problem which helped a great deal.

Back