99 Accord EX 2.3 sedan questions

SupraGuy

Reaction score
First off, I was kind of surprised that the FAQ covered such generic stuff, and not things specific to this generation Accord.

I just picked up this car as a DD, and will be winter driving it, since my other car is definitely a "Summer only" car.

Anyway, questions:

1. Head unit. I see that there are several dash kits available. I eyeballed the factory deck as a standard double-DIN, and it seems that will be fine as a replacement, but does that leave a gap around the head unit that the dash kit needs to cover? Basically, do I need to buy the dash kit, or would I be wasting my money? (The factory deck apparently has a CD jammed in it, and besides, it's asking for the anti-theft code, which I don't know.) Aesthetics probably aren't the most important, but it would bother me to not have this look at least like someone cared when the deck is installed.

2. Speakers. Again, surprised not to see something there in the FAQ, though a little research elsewhere seems to have gathered some results. Having not really looked at the audio in the car, it would have been useful to have some basic information about the factory provisions in the car. I see what appears to be 2 speaker mounts in the corner of the dash. I can find no information whatsoever about their size or mounting arrangement, and have been assuming that if I wanted to mount tweeters there for separates I'd be making a custom panel. It appears that the front door speakers are 6.5" or 6.75". It would be nice to know what the actual factory provision is. Rear deck 6X9 speakers?

Next, since this is going to be a winter DD, I'd like to know if people have information to go with stuff for security/remote start/keyless entry.

My car is the EX model, and I see a "security" light next to the lock button. I do not have remotes for the keyless entry (I did find information that would probably help me locate key fobs for it.) I would however like to install a security system. Is there a resource here where I can find information as to how to tie in to the system to manage the keyless entry so that the factory security system activates and deactivates? (Yeah, I could wire-trace and tap into the switch at the key cylinder, but it's so much easier to "look for the grey/blue wire in the driver's kick panel" right?) It also appears that there's a remote trunk release, which I'd also like to use. I suppose that knowing where the factory alarm brain is would likely give me most of this information.

Anyway, nice to meet y'all

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Did you see this FAQ: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4576

1) I'm not clear on whether you are installing a replacement factory single/double din, or aftermarket single/double din. Any factory double dins are surrounded by the HVAC/radio bezel, but the singles did have one depending on which one was there. I think any aftermarket single/double din unit will need a dash kit, but for the single it may just fit inside the factory kit for the factory single din....not sure.

2) Factory front speakers are 6.5, rears are 6x9. There are tweeters on the dash already, you can either mount replacements of the same size there or put them somewhere else with a custom install. Some people have put them on the forward end of the doors.

As for info on remote start, added security, etc I know people have messed with all of that so some searching might yield good or at least useful results. Otherwise you'll have to improvise or have an installer do it for you. As for the fob and keyless entry/trunk release, I believe you need the remote that is stamped with KOBUTAH2T, then program it. There are programming instructions somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Last edited:

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Thanks. I missed that FAQ, though I was looking for something just like it. Oops.

1. Probably a single DIN. I have a DIN pocket with door already, which I was planning to use for under the deck. My question is more if I need something else to go act as a cover.

I've been searching for stuff. I'm new here, but not to forums in general, so I promise to at least try searching before asking questions. the security stuff just kind of popped into my head as I was asking about the audio. I'll hit the search engine.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Well, so far so good.

I went to the auto wrecker this weekend, and grabbed a pocket from another Accord that came with a single DIN tape deck.

Well, I was going to upload a pic, but I apparently have a quota of 0KB.

Anyway, the deck seems to fit perfectly without any additional trim ring. I know that I had to carve the opening a bit larger when I installed this in the Supra, and before that when I had it in a beater Nissan. so probably I'd need a trim ring for many decks, but for this one, it fit perfectly.

I did find that the brackets were a bit odd, there was a protrusion to hold the radio in place that didn't have a corresponding hole in the aftermarket deck, so I suspect that the Honda mounting isn't quite ISO standard DIN, since I had no similar problems with other vehicles, but it's close enough that it worked with a little persuasion.

It's a cheap deck, Freeway DVD-3563, which has bluetooth capability, and iPod control, as well as playing DVDs with playback on a 4.3" LCD, as well as output for additional screens. The Bluetooth is kind of dumb, if you touch the phone it mutes everything immediately, so using the phone's GPS for navigation is really annoying. It's music search system for the iPod is also severely lacking, and it re-sorts playlists by artist/album/title. So it has quirks. The playlist order can be fixed by unplugging the iPod, starting a new playlist, then plugging it back in. Annoying but sometimes worth it. The Bluetooth issue... Well, it's not like I need GPS nav all that often. Rear seat entertainment for road trips could be useful. We'll see.

My primary reason for the visit to the wrecker was for a fender. The passenger side fender was crumpled rather badly, so now there' s a black fender from an '02 Accord on my "Black Currant Pearl" '99. wasn't too bad to replace, but many of the plastic fasteners for the inner fenders and bumper cover are no longer serviceable, so I'll have to pick up more of those. I'm assuming that those will be a dealer item.

For the remote start/security issues, the car already has a remote starter in it, but I don't have keyfobs, and the previous owner has informed me that it stopped working. That does mean that there's already a bypass module in there somewhere, so I should just need to connect it to a new starter system, I hope. I don't think that the starter in there was also a security system, but I'll probably install a combination system.

Some of the lights are out on the console. There's no backlight for the clock, and the lights for the recirc, A/C and Defrost buttons are out. I'd have thought that those were LED, so there must be a circuit problem somewhere in that unit. Might be time for another trip to the wrecker, but I'd like to have some chance that the one I pick up would be better. Or fix it myself... time to look for some lighting FAQs.

Edit: For the stereo ideas... I used to compete in IASCA SQ, so I'm not lacking for system ideas, but I'm not looking for a heavy duty system. I just want to have music to drive to. therefore I don't want any audio gear in my trunk. I want luggage space, and a spare tire in there.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Keyless programming info: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46093&highlight=KOBUTAH2T

To upload photos use an image sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr.

For the plastic clips I'd buy a bag from HandA-accessories. They warp and break over time so it's worth having them in bulk.

The HVAC controls are not LED, they are removable filament bulbs. But the indicator lights above the buttons are factory soldered. Those don't usually go out though so no need to mess with them unless you want to change their color. There are lighting DIY guides in the master list.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
Found info for the keyless entry fobs for the factory system. The car has an aftermarket one in it, for which I don't have the fobs, and am not entirely certain even of the aftermarket brand. I'll install a different aftermarket one in, since I want the remote start working, and might as well do the aftermarket security system at the same time. Well, unless I can identify the system that's in there already and get fobs for it, in which case, I might want factory fobs for the keyless entry. Need to do some exploratory surgery.

Yeah, I'll have to dig up the info on my photobucket account. I have some things working there, but have long since lost my password. I think that I still have a PC that has it cached though.

The indicator lights on the climate control work, just the buttons don't light up. Those are LED lamps on my Supras, kind of assumed they'd be the same here, but if they're replaceable lamps, that's not so bad. Found some threads on lamp replacments, though almost all of them pertain to LED replacement, instead of just "get a new lamp." It's not like I haven't had that out a few times in the past couple of days. Maybe I'll just do it again, and go buy a bunch of lamps. I'm guessing that there should be another couple of lamps behind the fan and temperature control knobs, since those seem to have illumination provisions, and mine aren't.

I do like the LEDs, but I don't like losing the dimming function. (LEDs typically seem to go 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 80%, 100%, 100%, 100%, 100% instead of a smooth progression.) They're great for warning lamps, less good for illumination, though I know that drivers can be made to dim them using PWM circuits, but that's not easily retrofit into the dashboard.

I'll have to check out the Lowes idea. Hadn't considered a home improvement store for those, but why not? I'd definitely get extras, they always take a lot of abuse, and many of the ones that I did get reinstalled aren't in perfect shape either. I suppose that the plastic fasteners are better than bolts/screws which get rusty and transfer that rust to the body.

Anyway, I have results for my initial questions. 1. No, I don't need the dash kit. 2. 6.5"/6X9", with (unspecified size) tweeters in the dash.

Security/remote start is ongoing, but since there's something installed in there, and I don't know exactly what, it's not reasonable to try to troubleshoot that over the 'net. (Hi, I have a remote starter, don't know what kind, don't know what's wrong, don't have the remotes to actually try it, but can you tell me what's wrong with it? Yeah... Not happening.) I'll probably post up a new thread when I have information that could actually help...

Edit:
I guess I'll add that photo here:

Last edited:
Back