99 Accord EX fuel problem

Zhaq

Reaction score
okayyy, i have a 99 Accord EX turbo'd. When I fill my car up with gas ( doesn't matter if i fill it all the way up or put just a little in) sometimes my car will have a hard time starting like its flooded. If it doesn't do it on the initial start up after fueling then it'll do the flooded act on the next start up after I park it at home, but after that it wont do it again until I put gas in it. Also i don't know if this is related to the same problem or not but when I'm hitting boost i can sometimes smell gas. I have changed the fuel pressure regulator but that wasn't the problem. Other than that i have no idea where to start looking. Help me

james'99

Reaction score
okayyy, i have a 99 Accord EX turbo'd. When I fill my car up with gas ( doesn't matter if i fill it all the way up or put just a little in) sometimes my car will have a hard time starting like its flooded. If it doesn't do it on the initial start up after fueling then it'll do the flooded act on the next start up after I park it at home, but after that it wont do it again until I put gas in it. Also i don't know if this is related to the same problem or not but when I'm hitting boost i can sometimes smell gas. I have changed the fuel pressure regulator but that wasn't the problem. Other than that i have no idea where to start looking. Help me

When it happens, do you notice whether the check engine light tests or not?

Check out this thread and the video in it.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50047

james'99

Reaction score
No its not throwing a check engine light

Not throwing a check engine light isn't what I mean. When you turn your key on after filling up, does your check engine light come on for 2 seconds and then shut off? Or does it not come on at all?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I would guess the purge valve is open, it should by or shouldn't be, IDK, that's where the fuel probably enters the intake manifold. I would also check out the charcoal canister and all lines from it to something headed to the tank. That shouldn't fill with gas, to enter the engine through that purge valve.

Zhaq

Reaction score
Not throwing a check engine light isn't what I mean. When you turn your key on after filling up, does your check engine light come on for 2 seconds and then shut off? Or does it not come on at all?

I've never noticed it come on for 2 seconds after filling up. But maybe it has and I just haven't noticed it. What would that mean if it does?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
It comes on for a couple seconds every time you turn on the key for a few seconds to make sure the light works.

james'99

Reaction score
It comes on for a couple seconds every time you turn on the key for a few seconds to make sure the light works.

^ This, and if it doesn't, it means either your main relay is bad which means your fuel pump isn't priming, or the light bulb is out altogether.

Did you get to watch the video in my other thread?

Back