99 EX Accord. Has factory am/fm/cd..but did they have cd changer inputs?

watson540

Reaction score
I have seen some of these aux input converters around for 99 honda's..

They hook into the back of your radio, and use up your non used cd-changer data port to create a line in source for your mp3 player or maybe dvd player.

My stereo doesn't have any changer controls on it that I can see, although one of the buttons does say "tape changer' on it, but I've never heard of a tape changer, o maybe they had a single din tape slave deck that plugged into the main unit?? I dunno, can someone clear this up for me??

As long as I have some sort of slave interface on the radio I can use this, otherwise I'lll just buy an fm modulator and hook it up the the antenna

finch13

Reaction score
It should... look on the back of the radio and look for a circular plug with a thinger in the middle. It looks kinda like an S-video plug.

I know the tape deck in my 99 LX didn't have it.

watson540

Reaction score
I have seen the plugs you're referring to, however I'm not so sure that honda's is round as well. Not from what I could tell looking at the adapter. AFAIK It's just another square/rectangular set of about 13 pins next to the others.

In any case. Those aux input converters are definitely the way to go. But in my case they all cost at least 30-40 bucks when I can go get a modulator (not a transmitter) that hooks directly to the antenna for less than 20.

I dunno when it gets up to about 40 bucks just for the aux input, that's when I say, "Hell I might as well save 60 more and get a real head unit with an aux in"

finch13

Reaction score
Er... back in the day, when iPods were still useful and not toys or a fad, I dropped $100+ just for the Alpine iPod interface adapter. It's a big chunky box that talks to the iPod and makes it look like a CD changer with benefits on my Alpine HU.

$40 is nothing, especially for full iPod control. The FM modulator you'll still be changing the tracks and volume on the iPod.

Anywho, this is the connector I was talking about. Alpine calls it Ai-Net, but it's a pretty standard CD changer connector as well.

x500KCA121B-f_dg.jpeg

EDIT: Ignore the orange and white RCA connectors, it must be an adapter or something from Alpine.

watson540

Reaction score
that looks a lot smaller than what I've been seeing. The ones I see have big honkin boxes attached to them

I never bought into the whole ipod fad. to be honest I don't like the looks or ui.

I own a sansa e250 and I put rockbox on it. rockbox is the only way to go. I think some of the newer ipods can run it as well. It makes me annoyed the sansa is quite popular but I only found one specific device tailored to it and it was a wireless fm modulator that was just made to hold the mp3 player.

You had an excuse to buy your expensive adapter, you already had a decent head unit. I plan to have a sub in here eventually, which I already own a line out converter, but man with double din dvd players going for a couple hundred, and straight up cd/mp3 players going for sub-100 dollars, like ..80 bucks for a decent one. I just can't justify 40 bones to hook up substandard audio to a substandard head unit.

I honestly have been looking for an in dash mp3 player without a cd drive. cd is so last decade..I hate to buy anything with an optical drive, they are fairly useless to me, unless you're speaking of dvd's which are only a slight bit less useless.

finch13

Reaction score
Ah, I was stuck on iPod adapters... now that you mention it, and your reasoning, the FM modulator is probably a better idea. The audio you'll get from that will be good for the stock HU and will work great with a new HU.

At the time $100 didn't seem like that much after throwing down 5 bills for the deck, but that was 4 years ago, and iPod/MP3 capabilities were still limited and prices still sky high.

SteadFast

Reaction score
I used one from PIE on my sisters civic

Details in this thread on another forum- http://clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=69893

No control feature, but I think those are overrated, most of the clients I've installed interfaces for prefer to use the ipod to control it.

I have seen some of these aux input converters around for 99 honda's..

They hook into the back of your radio, and use up your non used cd-changer data port to create a line in source for your mp3 player or maybe dvd player.

My stereo doesn't have any changer controls on it that I can see, although one of the buttons does say "tape changer' on it, but I've never heard of a tape changer, o maybe they had a single din tape slave deck that plugged into the main unit?? I dunno, can someone clear this up for me??

As long as I have some sort of slave interface on the radio I can use this, otherwise I'lll just buy an fm modulator and hook it up the the antenna
Tape/Changer is the button used in the civic's to toggle between the two

Last edited:

watson540

Reaction score
I'm actually now considering just gacking an input onto the stereo by cracking it open and soldering some rca inputs to the internal amps input, it will also have the cd output going down the same line, so the things i've seen to solve this on the net is either insert a cd upside down, or record a cd with 90 minutes of silence and then just use that..

Has anyone done this?? I'm gonna pull it anyway and have a look but I wouldn't mind any advice pointers if you know where to look for this input

watson540

Reaction score
I did manage to make an aux input into this stereo. I ended up hijacking the signal thats supposed to come from the radio going into volume control and then the internal amp.

The way I did it was just solder 6 ft 3.5mm cable to it. I was thinking though of just getting a 3.5mm jack with the internal switch that way it will kill the radio as soon as you plug a cable in. at the moment i just clipped the pins on the ic for the radio output so the radio is strictly aux at the moment. which isnt a big deal if your mp3 player has a radio on it like mine. but like i said the jack would solve this problem if one were so desperate for terrestrial radio

if anyone is interested i can post the schematic i used and show you which pins to solder to

Back