A stupid wheel bearing question...

Mik33

Reaction score
Alright so I got a 6th gen around January it was a gift I was told it has a bad wheel bearing a while before I even got it but it was used every single day before I received it well long story short I haven't been using the car because everywhere I need to go is within walking distance well the other day I was going to go somewhere a bit farther when I started pulling off it had the worst grinding noise I've ever heard a car make. I decided to just park it and not take any chances with ruining the car. I decided to clean the car out later that day and found the new wheel bearing in the trunk still In its package which means it was never fixed.

Well enough of the back story. Here is my question is there any way at least remove the hub and bearing without a press? I have searched through out the forums many times without much luck on it and I really want to go the cheapest route since I already have to parts that need replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated

604ACCORD

Reaction score
It is possible there is a video on youtube I seen, the guy takes the inner race off the spindle with a chisel you just have to be carful

Mik33

Reaction score
I seen that video and downloaded it also it was sort of helpful but don't you need a press to separate the hub from the knuckle?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Olddohc

Reaction score
You need a press. I have done a wheel bearing 3 separate times on a 6th gen. I cant see doing it without one. Its an easy job and can be done in an hour with a press. It sounds like you dont need the car everyday. If you can just take off the spindle, go to a shop and offer them $20 to press the old one out and the new one in or try to find one on CL for cheap and add it to your collection of tools.

Mik33

Reaction score
I never even thought about looking for a press on CL... i was just thinking of renting one of those hub removal tools and seeing if I could do it that way... thanks for the help guys. Anything else I should get or would a press be it or would it just be smarter to have it pressed it at a shop if possible? I read a lot of places won't do it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If you've never used a press take it in. If you have, get one.

It's hard to explain other than you are applying enough force to break stuff (I broke miata hub :( ). Press's are useful for other things.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Oh if you get one you need misc. things to transfer force, like steel 'bridges' for bottom & something almost, but not quite, as big as bearing.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
While it is very possible to do..i wouldnt recommend it to your average joe..doing a hub/bearing assembly w/o a press is like fighting a wild bull definate 10/10 difficulty..if your the least bit mechanically challenged..take it to a shop..if u wanna get dirty and use up your strength to your wits end then go for it..

Last edited:
Back