AC stopped working, fans still blowing.

pattywak

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I noticed the lights for the ac controls were flickering on and off for about five minutes While I was driving. I didn't really pay much mind to it, but then I came out to my car last night and turned it on and noticed none of the ac controls lights were on. I turned on the Fan and all it blew out was hot air. Drove it to my destination and about two minutes before I parked the ac control lights came on and the ac kicked in and started blowing cold.

Today, when I got in my car drove there was nothing - no lights, no ac, just miserable heat. It was so hot I got a pounding headache by the time I arrived to work. Any idea how I can fix this?

This has happened ONCE in the past, where the lights went out and the ac along with it but coming back later, but I just chalked that up to a random occurrence. It had worked ever since that single incident until now.

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
Have your system checked.. Might have leaked out freon or compressor is no good

Actually since the lights were flickering, are u sure the controls are plugged in and not loose?
I would check the controls first since you can do that yourself

pattywak

Reaction score
How can I check that? Is it a case of the front panel just popping off and seeing if the connection is good ?

agginline86

Reaction score
i'm not very good with diagnosing electrical issues, so take this with a grain of salt

could be a relay issue? maybe a loose ground?

I doubt the AC lights would go out if it was just a bad AC compressor

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
i'm not very good with diagnosing electrical issues, so take this with a grain of salt

could be a relay issue? maybe a loose ground?

I doubt the AC lights would go out if it was just a bad AC compressor

That's what I was thinking also. I think it's something electrical because of the lights corresponding to the ac going on or off. :/

ujinyuki

Reaction score
Happened to me just this month, turns out the the themo in the front panel is starting to get busted. You have two options, buy a new ac panel or have an aircon tech make you a new thermo switch. You can know this if you feel your compressor is unlikely turning on and off by itself

pattywak

Reaction score
Happened to me just this month, turns out the the themo in the front panel is starting to get busted. You have two options, buy a new ac panel or have an aircon tech make you a new thermo switch. You can know this if you feel your compressor is unlikely turning on and off by itself

Hm, so I need a new front panel....can you reword your last sentence? I'm having a hard time understanding it.

Back