Advice for fabric that won't fade...anyone?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I did my center console and door inserts on my car only about 2 years ago. I used black suede and it is now light brown. It is obviously time for me to do it again.

I haven't decided what material but it will either be a similar suede or a different color fabric (I may have my car match my home studio theme which is black and a specific blue fabric I have). I may be doing my pillars and headliner this time, I may just paint the pillars or skip that for now. The last thing I want is for something to look decent for less than a year and horrible after 1.5.

Is there something I need to look for when shopping? Do some fabrics have UV coating or just don't fade in general? Or do I need something automotive specific?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Hmmmm I've had mine for about a year... Mabey you can spray some clear coat over it.

I was thinking about coating it with matte clear but don't want it to feel weird. It will look fine, I know that because I used to customize shoes. I don't know of any fabric specific product that has UV protection that is meant for direct sunlight but that isn't my knowledge base either lol.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
The only fabric that doesn't fade is genuine Alcantara. Period.

Unfortunately, that is out of my price range. If I switch to leather door panels, I wouldn't mind saving the cash and redo every now and then (I don't know why the panel is not removable on cloth but is on leather but it makes the inserts a total PITA).

I guess I am more so looking for something that holds up as good as factory cloth. My seats took a long time to fade and it was only my rear seats. My door panels and front seats haven't faded noticeably since 2002. I just want something that resists fading, or if there is any way for me to know if something is going to fade less over time. I am not trying to spend a bunch of money and only need something close to OEM, not something that will never, ever fade.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
window tint is your friend. any percentage. 5% and 70%(CA legal) usually have the same UV blocking abilities.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
window tint is your friend. any percentage. 5% and 70%(CA legal) usually have the same UV blocking abilities.

I really don't like tint. I have considered 70% all around but it's kind of expensive to get done right for something I don't care about. It would keep out some heat but I have cloth seats. I guess fading is and issue too lol.

I never realized you are from Hayward. I work with some hip hop artists down there and used to be in Hayward like 3x a week. I would have loved to see your car. I only go down like every 2 months lately.

Back