AI4 Problems, time to sell car?

DNick454

Reaction score
Alternator - basic maint
Suspension noises - basic maint
Taking care of transmission - basic maint

You can't post in other sections b/c we dont want new comers asking/posting about topics that have already been covered. It makes you use the search function so we dont rip you a new one.

Of course taking care of the transmission is basic maintenance, I understand what you're saying. But at this point, it's already starting to go, so regular maintenance isn't going to make it any better, only slow the progression of the problem. Is it better to go through the dealer and have a remanufactured transmission put in, or go to a transmission shop and have them "try" to fix the problem. Although even then, I'm still stuck with the problematic accord transmission.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt when the clutch packs went. That was...4yrs ago? No problems since.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
v6 tranny is crap.... 4 banger tranny is not as bad, but some tend to fail after some time... most ppl who had failed auto trannies swapped to a 5 spd tranny as tht is more cost efficient.. how much u may ask? it depends on ur location, and whether u DIY or bring it to a shop...

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
rebuilding your automatic tranny will cost a lot of money. I've got my car a 5 speed swap at $1,650 with a new flywheel and oem clutch kit. I think a reman tranny or rebuilt one at honda is around $2k but dont quote me on that.

IMO, if your going to do anything with your tranny as far as permanent fixes, you should just swap it out to a manual. Manuals last a lot longer generally and are wayyyy cheaper to rebuild.

I mean there is nothing wrong with a rebuild automatic transmission, you just have to find a place that is reputable in rebuilding ur transmission and offers a decent warranty for the money. I happened to find a shop that does a 5 speed swap at a very decent price. So I guess it goes with your location and your resources. Good luck...

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So is that the major issue with the accord automatic transmissions? And if I may ask, where and how much did it cost to get it serviced?

Mine wasn't a factory issue or mistake like some will claim, it was the abuse of a 75shot for a year and a half.

Local trans shop rebuild - $1800.

A new trans or rebuilt one (not yours but another rebuilt trans) is over $3k with labor and warranty from most shops or junkyards that do rebuilds or remans.

Last edited:
Back