aint no balla

d1blet

Reaction score
So I finally got a new bumper and hood so that I can complete a Sedan > Coupe front end swap. I figured that I should probably paint it myself. I mean, how hard can it possibly be? (hopefully I'm not just ambitious but rubbish)

So, I did find the exact color that was sprayed onto me Accord, but lo' and behold, THE PRICE!

I think $115 for a quart of paint is a bit too much. Does anyone know another place where I can get this exact same paint for a little bit less?

EDIT: actually I don't think I'm going to need a full blown quart. It's only a hood/bumper. Think I can get away with a pint?

lwlba

Reaction score
well.. i would just go to any body shop.. they should be able to match ur paint

d1blet

Reaction score

:rofl: :henry:

A body shop will indeed match my paint. But I'm pretty sure that the paint I picked matches too. It's not like my car has been out in the sun or what not that might cause some weird issues and I matched the color code with the VIN designator that tells me which exact shade of Silver Satin Metallic was sprayed onto my car. I just need to find a place that might have it a bit cheaper...

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
^^^ Matt maybe you can direct him and me at the same time. Assuming he hasn't done any serious painting (I haven't either) do you know of any good places to start out learning about auto painting?

I want to pick up some oem paint and paint some things myself also.

d1blet

Reaction score
I haven't painted jack crap. Luckily, I have a good friend who does.

The 2 cans I ordered totally wasn't enough. I'm going to need some more...

I'll let ya guys know how this goes when it's all finished.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
^^^ Matt maybe you can direct him and me at the same time. Assuming he hasn't done any serious painting (I haven't either) do you know of any good places to start out learning about auto painting?

I want to pick up some oem paint and paint some things myself also.

I actually have never painted anything sizeable. I use automotive paint all the time with my airbrush but that's about it. Everything i've actually put on my car i've painted myself was actually color matched spraypaint i get mixed at the local automotive store. I'd only do like a lip kit with that though because it doesn't ever match perfectly (quality automotive paint may not either depending on how much elements and especially sun your car sees).

But, i am looking into painting cars and i've been reading books for years. I'm about to get a bunch more off an old co worker who used to paint for a living. My advice is to read, take a class or two, etc. But, i've found thus far, it's been cheaper for me to do the prep and have a shop spray it than buy a decent gun, compressor, respirator, etc, as well as primer, paint, clear, reducer, catalist, buffer, etc. To get the same quality as a decent shop, be safe, and all that can add up and take awhile to break even or save money, depending on how far. For example, if i paint my old jag, i'll do more than break even, but if i dented a fender and got a new bumper, probably not.

Back