air/fuel questions

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
I have a few ?'s concerning my air/fuel ratio. These weren't covered in the DIY, so hopefully I can get some help.

1. Is our o2 sensor heated or not?
2. These instructions tell me to wire it straight to the o2 sensor. Pros...cons?
3. If I go into the ECU (which is cool with me), which port do I splice into to? Looking at the diagram, I cannot really see one that is labeled O2 sensor. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have v6 as opposed to the 4cyl DIY that sketch did.

kn0x47

Reaction score
i've never added a gauge but the hotside is the o2 sensor in the header. just wiring it up to that

Drift

Reaction score
A couple things to start. . . All OBDII o2 sensors are heated.

2nd, I assume you're installing a narrow band o2 gauge. Those are kind of useless. Any time the A/F is under 14.7, its going to read rich, any time its over 14.7 it will read lean. So if its, 14.8, the gauge will read as if its fully leaned out. So you really have a very narrow band in which the o2 sensor will read stoich.

But Ill look for some diagrams in a little bit, what year is your V6 again?

lithiumus

Reaction score
1. they are heated
2. pro - direct connect, no signal issues con- you can cutting into the OEM wire

I'd see if you can get an O2 extension cable with connectors. Then just hook it up to where the O2 sensor connector is and tap into the extension wires instead of cutting any of the OEM wires.

3. I'll get back to you on the exact pin as I need to check my service manual. If you connect at the ECU, you'd still be cutting OEM wire and I'd never recommend doing that. Avoid cutting OEM wires if at all possible.

lithiumus

Reaction score
I agree, if it's not a wideband, it's not very usefull. If you get a wideband, you'll have to get a new hole drilled and bung installed.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
A couple things to start. . . All OBDII o2 sensors are heated.

2nd, I assume you're installing a narrow band o2 gauge. Those are kind of useless. Any time the A/F is under 14.7, its going to read rich, any time its over 14.7 it will read lean. So if its, 14.8, the gauge will read as if its fully leaned out. So you really have a very narrow band in which the o2 sensor will read stoich.
+1

I agree, if it's not a wideband, it's not very usefull. If you get a wideband, you'll have to get a new hole drilled and bung installed.
+2

AEM UEGO, Innovate, or PLX FTW.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score

well i know the usual rif raf concerning these, but I'm wondering if there will be a readout difference between the two place.

Drift

Reaction score
well i know the usual rif raf concerning these, but I'm wondering if there will be a readout difference between the two place.

Which 2 places? Meaning taping the signal from the sensor side or from the ecu side? It shouldn't, but if you can, just grab if from the ecu side.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Which 2 places? Meaning taping the signal from the sensor side or from the ecu side? It shouldn't, but if you can, just grab if from the ecu side.

ya thats what I meant... would there be any difference between the signal from the ecu or directly from the plug. I'm going to do it now.. let you know how it turns out.

MikeyMike

Reaction score
I have a few ?'s concerning my air/fuel ratio. These weren't covered in the DIY, so hopefully I can get some help.

1. Is our o2 sensor heated or not?
2. These instructions tell me to wire it straight to the o2 sensor. Pros...cons?
3. If I go into the ECU (which is cool with me), which port do I splice into to? Looking at the diagram, I cannot really see one that is labeled O2 sensor. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I have v6 as opposed to the 4cyl DIY that sketch did.

if u have it in the ecu make sure it is always functioning.. if you any reason you take the gauge out, disconnect that wire running to the ecu, or it will will idle weird every now and then

ps: unless you have a wideband o2 sensor, the gauge is useless.. all it will do is bounce around

Back