All 6 Cyl. misfire. What is wrong!

Topher88

Reaction score
When my engine is cold it seem to randomly cut out power then randomly come back. Ones its wormed up it seems to be fine. The shop said that i need a valve adjustment. dose that sound right?

BigAnt

Reaction score
i don't think that a valves would make it misfire. Most likely it would be coil packs if you a 99-02 v6. i you have a 98 it would be your distrbutor.

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
i don't think that a valves would make it misfire. Most likely it would be coil packs if you a 99-02 v6. i you have a 98 it would be your distrbutor.

Well, yes, mis-adjusted valves would cause a misfire, but it is not likely to be the cause in this case. It is most likely ignition related. Distributor (or coil packs), wires, or all the plugs. Is there a check engine light or a code for misfire? You should get this fixed quickly, you don't want it to ruin your cat.

finch13

Reaction score
I don't think the valves will work their way out of adjustment far enough to cause a misfiring issue, to be honest, BUT our MDX with the J35 V6 had a hard starting issue that Honda fixed with a valve adjustment and a few other things.

I don't think it's coils, coils do not ALL fail at the same time. Sometimes a crank position sensor or cam position sensor giving intermittent signals will confuse the ECU and tell it to not spark. If you have oil leaking down the timing cover (cam seal, oil pump) I can see where that could be an issue. On earlier distributed ignition sensor, the distributor shaft O-ring can leak and fill the distributor cap up with oil.

Back