Alpine Amp in Protect Mode

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
Every time i turn my volume up past about 12 on my Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD my amp enters protect mode until i turn it off and turn it back on. I have an Alpine PDX-1.600M amplifier and one Alpine Type R SWR-1243D. I have a brand new battery and my alternator checks out fine. I'm running 4 gauge wire all around as well. I have the gain on the amp set to only halfway and i even have the subsonic filter set to like 35Hz just to see if it would help. Hopefully i listed everything with enough detail, and id like some help trying to figure this out because everything works fine until i crank it up. Also i have it grounded to the same spot that the gas tank gauge is grounded too. Could that be my problem? Or i was also thinking it could be the fact that i did the Big 3 upgrade but removed the battery to engine ground and only have the battery grounded to the chassis. I know a good deal about car audio and do a lot of installs for friends and I'm at a loss right now.

ejreams

Reaction score
Check your fuses? Sometimes they don't appear blown, its been a while since I've been into car audio but are you sure 4 gauge is thick enough for 600rms?

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Funny thing is... Same thing happens to me ever since I installed my 2ed amp to power my front speakers. I'm also running an Alpine PDX1.1000 monoblock.

My amp cutsoff at volume 11 no matter how I mess with the gains.

It's my second amp causing it because when I use the 4awg to the distribution block 8awg it cuts off at 11 volume. When I use just the 4awg to the amp it works fine. Don't know if it is the distribution block or the radio wire. The amp still lights up after 11 volume, it just doesn't want to power the sub afterwards.

Edit:

4awg is more than enough to power 2000 RMS.

0awg is a waste if you're not running over 3000rms

Last edited:

ejreams

Reaction score
You have to consider the length of the cable as well, but yea 4 gauge should be enough, do you have any kinks or bends?

I wouldn't use 4awg on a 2000rms set up unless that **** was only like.. 4 feet long lol
You're crazy.

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
are you referring to the inline fuse from the power wire or the fuses to the amp? cause the amp has four 20amp fuses and i havent checked them yet. and i have a hardwood floor for my trunk and the ground wire goes underneath it so maybe the weight of the wood on the wire has something to do with it?

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
and is there possibly a better ground location i should use? maybe just drill a hole in the trunk somewhere instead of sharing a ground?

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
You have to consider the length of the cable as well, but yea 4 gauge should be enough, do you have any kinks or bends?

I wouldn't use 4awg on a 2000rms set up unless that **** was only like.. 4 feet long lol
You're crazy.

You sure about that?

Edit: just did some research :). Guess 2000rms is a little to much for 4awg.

Last edited:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Red light lit: Amplifier circuit is abnormal. An
electrical short has occurred,
or supply current is too high.

Turn off the power supply and eliminate the cause. Then turn on the
unit and verify that the indicator color has changed to blue. If it
remains red, turn off the unit and consult your dealer.

Determine the actual voltage at the amplifier. Use a DMM. Most likely this is a ground issue. If your voltage drops at higher volumes this would look like "an electrical short" to the amp and would cut off.

A kink in a wire is not like a kink in a water hose; just check to make sure the wood has not cut into the wire allowing a short, otherwise it doesn't matter if they come in contact.

ejreams

Reaction score
You sure about that?

Edit: just did some research :). Guess 2000rms is a little to much for 4awg.

Lol Just to clarify I wasn't trying to come off as a dick.
I've just worked with AC/DC power of different voltages not just in cars and I've seen some **** blow up because of incorrect wiring lmao.

AccordUser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ejreams

You're crazy.

He is right, I had an orion 2400D amplifier and I has 2 gauge. Called my man at crutfield and said upgrade to zero gauge for the whole setup. I did that, and never looked back. He told me that is your wire is too small, good amps (i.e. alpine, etc.) will detect this based on resistance and once it gets to a certain point where its cant "efficiently" pull power, its switches to protect. gain has nothing to do with it, all gain is is "how fast" and amp will reach maximum power. AMPS ALWAYS PULL THE SAME WATTS RMS NO MATTER WHAT THE GAIN IS ON, even though it may not sound like it.

Back