alternator woes

flyspyder55

Reaction score
ok so... ive got plenty of mechanical experience, just relativly unfamiliar with my own cars system lol.

ok so last week, i lost my speedo... it fluctuates from time to time, but generally sits at zero... figured i just lost the VSS. then the next day, driving into work, the car started to miss... i turned the headlights off, and it resumed working fine... drove a little more, and the car was barrely running by the time i got it to work. so i get to work, call the parts store (i work at a shop) have em send and alt (because the alt is NOT charging) didnt think about it, just threw one on, (generally the problem) and the same problem exists..

so we bench test my alt, and its charging at 14+v . so obviously the problem is in the car. now i havent had time to do much digging around. but i can charge the battery, and drive on it for a couple days. today my batt finally died ( had a spare in the trunk) and for ****s and giggles, i jumped the car, and the car ran on a 20 minute drive. so obviously, the alt is making enough power to keep the car running, just not enough to keep the battery charged.

this is what throws me off... if i had a broke wire, and the alternator wasnt geting excited, then id have 0V coming from the alt... ive got some power, just not enough... this is typical of a bad alt... but the alt is fine. any ideas would be apreciated.

btw 98 h swapped cg5

iHazSnail

Reaction score
have you checked the fuses? can't remember but theres a fuse driver side, side panel. if thats blown, you'll get the issue you are having right now. i know because this was me a year or so back.
also, are you sure there aren't any shorts? check for a blown relay that might be drawing power out the battery by not closing after the car has been shut off

flyspyder55

Reaction score
a bad fuse would stop the alt from charging all togather. a relay drawing power would only make the battery die after sitting for long periods of time... i can jump the car, drive for as long as i want, then shut the car off and the battery will be dead... the battery isnt being drained... its not being charged.

i think its the ELD... im going to try putting a resistor in the eld plug and see what happens.

Back