another ecu question for inspection

jpn

Reaction score
i searched and couldnt find an answer. wen we plug in the obd reader for inspection, do our ecu's show our vin? i ask because i need a new ecu and want to know do i have to flash a my vin onto the new ecu? if theres a thread already please point me in that direction because i cant find it

001Stunna

Reaction score
It'll work as pretty much plug and play i believe. But you will need to get a dealer to program your keys to that ECU though. It could be possible in the process they verify the whole VIN issue too.

my .02

jpn

Reaction score
well i plan on doing the immobilizer delete that i saw on forum im just concerned that wen i go to inspection the vin wont match. i just wondering because i know some cars dont vins in the ecu

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge you can't disable the immobilizer without converting to ODBI. There was some guy a while back that would solder a different chip into the ECU disabling it but I wouldn't even know where to look for that now.

If I were you I'd convert to ODB1 and run some sort of tuning software. It might come in handy later if you decide to do an NA build or boost.

jpn

Reaction score
i understand i can remove the immobilizer which is what i would do on the used ecu that i am going to buy. my question is will i run into trouble at the inspection since its a different ecu than what came with the car?

Drift

Reaction score
i understand i can remove the immobilizer which is what i would do on the used ecu that i am going to buy. my question is will i run into trouble at the inspection since its a different ecu than what came with the car?

No. There will be no issue.

jpn

Reaction score
ok cool so your saying even tho the ecu is from another car there is no vin on the ecu? i want to be sure since my mechanic that does my inspection says that most obd2 cars have vins in the ecu thats why they cant hookup another car to the inspection machine like a lot of people do with the obd1

Drift

Reaction score
ok cool so your saying even tho the ecu is from another car there is no vin on the ecu? i want to be sure since my mechanic that does my inspection says that most obd2 cars have vins in the ecu thats why they cant hookup another car to the inspection machine like a lot of people do with the obd1

The only way they can see the VIN is in the B-CAN cars of 05 and up. As long as the ECU matches the engine, you'll be fine.

Back