Any Bikers??

Raymond

Reaction score
Ray, what kind of budget are you gonna be working with? Entry level bikes are gonna start around $300-$350, but I would take a few steps up from that if you really actually want to ride them seriously on the trail. Look at spending around $450-500 on a solid ride. Unfortunately, shipping a bike is rather costly (because of the weight and size of the box) so you would be much better off riding a few different bikes at local shops.

Thanks for the advice! I was planning to spend around $500 or so on a decent hardtail with just a front fork. At that price range, are the disk brakes that come with the bikes worth the extra money, or should I stick with standard stuff? I remember reading somewhere that unless you were spending a few grand on a bike that chances are the disk brakes aren't going to be that great. Could be wrong though..

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
For a low budget bike they are not going to be the best, but then again is anything going to be that great? I would sway from low budget bikes with hydraulic disc brakes though and stick with ones that have mechanical disc brakes. The 2011 Trek 4300Disc(About $640) comes with hydraulic brakes now, ugh...

I know some people do not think the disc brakes are worth the money, but they really are. Plus if you end up wanting better brakes it would be cheaper to upgrade since your wheels and frame would already have the mounts for it. Maybe you could find a 2010 for cheap.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
I would look (like Eric said) at some bikes with mechanical (cable pull) disc brakes. I honestly would ride anything but Avid BB5's or better. Gary Fisher Wahoo's are right in that price range as well as some bikes without disc brakes (which, arguably, you would get a better deal on).

aznfunkyflip

Reaction score
just did 28 miles ride this morning. It was my first time riding with my clipless shoes. i was doing fine for 24 miles and I thought i wouldn't fall, but i did :( i normally just unclip my left shoe, but I guess i was tired and got out of balance and fell on my right side, while my right shoe still clipped. Good thing it got unclip when I was about to fall. lol.

Going with a group ride tomorrow morning for 30 miles.

toofastaccord23

Reaction score
heres a little update on my bike

mynewbike019-1.jpg

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
That is a really clean looking bike, I am definitely diggin the seat. Not so much the tires, but overall, very very classy indeed.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
looks good...def a hipster bike haha..not sure how I feel about the old school stem, kinda makes the placement of the handlebars look awkward. But if you like the riding position then go for it.

I was at our other store location today looking at Giant bikes. There is a new Giant bike around $600 that would be a great buy for you Raymond. It is called the Revel 0. Looked to be a good low budget hardtail. 100mm of travel with a lockout fork i believe..BB5 brakes...not sure what else

Side note...looks like I will be at the bike shop a tad longer since I didn't get the job I interviewed for...Going to start working on some action photos on the trails this coming up week.

toofastaccord23

Reaction score
That is a really clean looking bike, I am definitely diggin the seat. Not so much the tires, but overall, very very classy indeed.

Thanks man i was going for that classy look , as for the tires i wanted something to stand out they look better in person

looks good...def a hipster bike haha..not sure how I feel about the old school stem, kinda makes the placement of the handlebars look awkward. But if you like the riding position then go for it.]

You my friend are very correct about the stem i want something that's a lil more angled down instead of being level heres a pic of a stem im interested in let me know what you think

ITMEclypseQuillStemSilL.jpg

SykVSyx

Reaction score
MAN......all this talk about bikes, I keep seeing people riding everywhere I go, and seeing great deals on bikes......too many priorities and not enough disposable cash!

It's going to come down to replacing the rims on the current bike, I think.

Question, for mountain bikes, cable or disc brakes, and F/R shocks?

Yes, I will be trail riding, but nothing really extreme.

Back