Any Bikers??

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
that's why i'm considering of just getting a Hybrid or Cyclocross Bike.

With the type of riding that I'd be doing, I'm thinking that Road Bike might not be the right bike for me.

Road Bikes are a fragile and the roads here in LA isn't that great.

I would think you would be fine..Just like with a car, you just have to avoid the obstacles. There are tons of hipsters in LA so road bikes can't be that huge of a problem haha

You could probably consider other bikes if you dont' think the road would work out for you though. For example the Trek FX is a great Fitness bike that borders a road bike more than a comfort bike. It has thicker tires than a road bike which might provide you with more confidence on the bad roads. But road bikes are not really that fragile except for maybe the really thin tires. But nothing a wider set wouldn't fix. But there are many "Urban" bikes that different companies offer. I would check out Trekbikes.com and then go to urban just to get an idea of what they look like and the different options you would have in style. Or just go to a local bike shop and see what they have to offer for what your looking to do. I would assume they would be glad to find the right fit bike for you.

I would just save up if I was you. The Boulder is not an awful bike but you sound like you do some trail riding and it might not last that long on the trails. Yes it is a mtn bike but it is lower end, so it is not going to be built as tuff as other mtn bikes.And to be honest you could probably work on the price a tad.

Ugh I am going to be though..work up feeling sick and left work about 2 hours early...Not a busy day at the shop for me. I spent half the day just drinking water trying to stay hydrated haha

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
One of the biggest myths amongst casual cyclists is the understanding that road bikes are fragile. They are absolutely NOT fragile. These bikes are meant to take a beating. Sure, you can't go jumping curbs and riding down flights of stairs, but urban riding will not mess up your bike. You have to be smart, but you won't break the bike. That being said, stay away from old Trek composite frames (like the one linked above), they are known to come apart. The way they bonded the carbon tubing to the aluminum joints has been known to fail, especially around the bottom bracket area. I have personally seen six of these old bikes come in with these problems. That being said, if you do ride it and it breaks, you can sometimes pull some strings with Trek and take advantage of their lifetime frame warranty. This means they send you the current model year's equivalent of that bike, and the current equivalent is the Trek 4.5 Madone (a $2100 full carbon road bike).

Just food for thought.

naoandlata

Reaction score
Did some riding with friends yesterday. Both of my friends got vintage schwinn's that way alot. The ride ended quickly with one of the bikes breaking down halfway through the trail :(

PIC_0027.jpg

Raymond

Reaction score
You took those bikes on trails? Or do they have on-road trails there lol

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Wow...Just somewhat finished lacing up my new rear Racelite wheel. That took MUCH MUCH longer than I expected haha. Gotta take it to the shop tom to true it more and make sure it is spinning smooth

Not sure I want to do that ever again..but I kinda wish I had black spokes. Maybe I should swap spokes on front and rear?? Front rim is black racelite with black spokes..rear is Silver Racelite with silver spokes

Raymond

Reaction score
Just got home from another trail ride today, think I might have bent my rear wheel again haha, gotta look at it tomorrow. Took some pics this time because I brought my cam for once, I'll post those up later tonight.

Back