any one installed door locks

98accordlx

Reaction score
ok so im replacing all the locks in my car and i come across a problem. i got the trunk, glove box and the landing above the trunk done. here's where the problem starts i cant get either the driver or the passenger side lock to come out of the door and from the looks of it some else had tried on the driver side previous too me and failed. any one know how to get them out without just drilling through the lock? i still also have to do the lock for the gas door/trunk release lever but since i wasn't given a key that works for it i may be SOL on that. im trying to get at least one of the doors done so i don't get charged $315+shop supplies+tax at my local honda stealership to get these 3 locks done.

98accordlx

Reaction score
i have an appointment tomorrow around 2 to get them done but im gonna read through the honda manual while I'm there and take pics with my crappy cell phone and post them up on here just in case anyone else needs to do the same. i probably should have taken pics on doing the locks i got done but those seemed pretty straight forward. I also came to the realization that i have a spoiler with the brake light in it making the fact that i also have a high stop brake light with no wires going to it making that pretty pointless.

98accordlx

Reaction score
when i bought the car they gave me 3 different keys.

the car had a new ignition so that was one key.

the second key with my guess was the original but only unlocked the passenger side door, trunk, and glove box. the driver side door was not only siezed but it felt like someone tried to break in and jacked up the lock for when you put the key in you didn't feel the pins moving along the key on insert. the gas door/trunk release lock doesn't even work any key i try to put in it only makes it to past the protective door.

the 3rd key is a valet key which is completely useless for it doesn't even go to the car.

from the looks of it before i bought it it sat somewhere completely open and unlocked. there's rust on the seat brackets and bolts along with the driver side dead pedal put nowhere else in the car and then if you fold down the back seat i got enough pine needles back there to make my own mini pine tree. when i did the trunk lock and while i was attempting to do the front door locks there was also a lot of salt residue on the locks themselves so wherever it was sitting was near a road and backed in towards a tree

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
theres a special tool that takes a clip out..you probably cant see it,but it holds the lock in place along with i think 2-10mm bolts for the bracket for the handle..hope that helps..
i pryd mine out when i shaved my handles,but i broke the lock and stuff..ha so dont do that until you get the tool

Last edited:

98accordlx

Reaction score
lol i had the stealership do it, but while i was there i looked through the helms manual and saw that that's where the clip came from. in the hayne's manual it mentions nothing of the clip nor where it comes from there's just a pic of a guys hand holding it near the lock. they didn't use a special tool just anything small, rigid and has a small hook on the end to yank it out. either way it got done and im now going to get one of those prepaid credit cards so i can buy the helms manual. i could sit there for hours reading through that thing almost did too since i had 2 hours to waste (they estimated 3 hours).

i never got to see the title before he put it into my name so that rules out hunting down the previous owner and opening up a can of whoop ***

Last edited:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
well atleast you got it done,but sucks had to spend but load of money on something that could have been done in 20mins per door..

98accordlx

Reaction score
well atleast you got it done,but sucks had to spend but load of money on something that could have been done in 20mins per door..

no kidding, getting the locks done and then basically giving the car a full tune up dipped into the money i was putting aside for a few other things i was gonna get for the car along with my new tv fund :(

Back