Auto to Manual Tranny Swap

HandoEX

Reaction score
Who here has done this swap? What tranny did you use? How many hours would your expect this to take a capable shop to complete?

Unfortunataly, my auto tranny is going out and will most likely need to get replaced sometime fairly soon. Swapping out for a manual is something I am at least considering at this point but don't want to get in over my head financially. From what I can see, I should be able to pick up the necessary parts for the swap for around $1500. The parts list I have is:

Tranny: $350 (used with about 50k)
5 speed starter: $50
5 speed drivers side axle: $70
clutch master cylinder: $75
slave cylinder: $40
clutch: $250
flywheel: $160
5 speed mount bracket: $20
TOTAL $1015

No prices yet for:
5 speed shifter assembly
5 speed intermediate shaft
5 speed clutch pedal assembly
5 speed brake pedal arm
clutch lines
clutch dampener assembly
5 speed mount

It looks like labor will be the kicker. Unfortunately, I don't have the slightest clue how many hours to budget for a job like this. Anyone with experience want to lend me some insight???

klee

Reaction score
tech.hybridgarage.com when that site comes back online there is a decent article one of the guys wrote. He did an auto to manual swap on an EG civic. It may not be the same car but the article is great in the sense of answering your questions on the amount of labor and possible issues you might run into.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
u have a 6th gen rite? prob could use the H23 tranny.. heard it was close to a direct bolt-on... maybe do some research on tht

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
u have a 6th gen rite? prob could use the H23 tranny.. heard it was close to a direct bolt-on... maybe do some research on tht

Any F or H series tranny is a direct bolt in.

HandoEX

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
Any F or H series tranny is a direct bolt in.
Correct. However, f23 5 speeds are pretty strong from what I've heard and they are cheap:)
Today I had a reputable local shop quote me 17 hours to do the swap. At $50 an hour that comes to $850. Add that to the total for parts and I should be looking at the $2300 neighborhood. I can't see replacing my tranny with another auto costing much less than that...

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
all Honda manual trannies are strong... just depends on the cost... if u can get either the H or F tranny cheap, go for it

retroshark

Reaction score
im doign this in about 3 weeks. go to a junkyard and get the parts yourself. theyl be super cheap.

also, im doing the work myself, so maybe give it a try too!

HandoEX

Reaction score
retroshark said:
im doign this in about 3 weeks. go to a junkyard and get the parts yourself. theyl be super cheap.

also, im doing the work myself, so maybe give it a try too!
What tranny, clutch and flywheel are you going with? If you don't mind me asking...what did you pay for each as well?

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Someone has done this swap on honduh.com now known as everything-honda.com I know of a few people have done this swap on a 6th gen accord and there is a DIY thread some where. I'm also doing this swap + a H22A4 motor/h22 tranny so good luck and do as much reading as you can :)

Back