Auto...turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muyo

Reaction score
Wow maybe it is that mostly only J30s auto trannies brake down more. I'm suprised that yours is still holding up after 125k and all that auto crossing. I mean mine has 72k on it right now and it shifts smoothly and plus I have a tranny cooler too, but again I keep obsessing over when its just gonna crap on me by adding all that power to the engine. Maybe, just maybe it will be able to hold at least 250whp pretty soon :) .

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
regardless of whatever anyone says there's nothing wrong with modding an auto. autos actually have a few advantages - i.e. it's easier to reduce turbo lag in an auto.

99% of people who say to get a stick just say it because its the "manly" thing, or simply because they think sticks are more fun to drive. whatever. there aren't any reliability issues with the 4cyl autos (there were with some v6 ones though). you've got nothing to worry about getting an auto

djpm05

Reaction score
I personally don't like my auto because it isn't as fun to drive. :( and yea it's the v6 auto on the 6th gen, and on the TL's that have issues. I just wish I would have waited and got a stick.

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
I had my auto tranny replaced around 55K. No problems since. I had a manual truck, and rush hour traffic with a 5 spd. is a beeyatch!

phat2k2accord

Reaction score
ive heard that an atuo turbo isnt that bad at all . i hope at least, my tranny has 108k on it and it shifts a lil hard in 4th coming out of rist shift other than that its cool, tranny fulid changed every 9k oil every 2.5k..

angelplus

Reaction score
I hate this kind of conversation becuase so many people fought over it saying that turbo works better with a stick and doesn't work on an auto. Now that we all know that there is a huge topic of this on the old forum, lets not bring it up becusae you can learn from that thread on the other forum since its very helpful and I've learned so much from it. Just a warning, try not fighting over this issue becuase it is a huge problem for so many people, even though the answer is on the other forum.

No Im not tryin to bust anyones bubble or be an asshole. Im just giving everyone a heads up of what can happen. :)

jwl03

Reaction score
Future. said:
Sup guys, i have a little problem. I want a 5spd, but my parents really want to get me an auto, well my mom does. I live in NoVa, so traffic can be bad. The thing is, i would wanna do stuff to it, but it seems pointless in an auto.

Which part of NoVa are you from? I live in Burke, Fairfax County. I got my Accord about a year ago from a dealer in Woodbridge. Before, I had a '93 Civic automatic with about 130k miles on it. I go to VCU nowadays and since I was moving off campus, I needed a car in Richmond.

Well, the first two cars I test drove were 2 black accord coupes. Both were stick. They were nice, however...at the time, I did not like the idea of getting a coupe because I planned on moving stuff in and out of my apartment very often. I was lucky, cuz two hours later, some guy brought in a '01 blue sedan that was also stick. And that's the car I am driving now.

I say if you can, go for the stick. I have never had any regrets about it. The only regret I have now is getting a sedan and not the coupe. You will not always be stuck in traffic, and even when you are, it is not as bad as it seems. I have been stuck in i-95 traffic back and forth between here and Richmond countless times. However, those few moments can never compensate for all the fun I've had with this car ;D

theaccordian

Reaction score
IMO gear ratios are as important as any other part of the car. Autos have one less gear than 5 speeds. Autos are geared long as hell which reuslts in slowass

10 sec 0-60 acceleration. The tranny is what converts the power effectively. 5 speeds have another gear which results in faster accleration. Ive heard of guys

doing h23/h22 tranny swaps and getting into 16s and 15s with mild engine work.

Its all not HP, gearing plays a big role too.

acrod99

Reaction score
As for a turbo on an auto-that's what i'm running currently. All rumors aside, the lag in first is only until 2 grand, then it is all spool! I reach full boost around 3500rpm and it's just nutty! Every time it shifts, the boost barely drops at all, if any. Sure, i'll admit my automatic accord isn't as fun to drive as my manual bmw, but they are darn close! Basically, if you want a turbo'd car without any lag through the gears-i'd go auto.
But as everyone knows, people tend to have their own opinions, and it comes down to whatever you feel is right. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back