balancer shaft seal retainer

Shadow1

Reaction score
Well my butte dyno is very accurate. Lol. Its all good. I say you take it off(just take the belt off for the dyno) and see what kind of gain you get. Once again. No disrespect. Not challenging you either. I applaud your knowledge tho. But just a thought in case you ever wanna try it out ;)

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this, I have a pretty serious amount of oil coming from the front of my engine somewhere, now I suspect if may be coming form here. When I put this engine in my car I had a blockage in my PCV system that I didn't know about and kept hearing a pressure release from this area, kinda like when opening a bottle of soda. Guess I'll be getting back in there sometime.

001Stunna

Reaction score
as much research as I've done over the years I never saw anything about it. I searched it and found a thread where you were dropping knowledge about this but I figured it was something important enough to have its own thread that can get stickied so everyone can see it without having to go digging for it.

You obviously did not research or spend more then a second on it.
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2458090

Threads go back to 2008.

06-27-2008, 12:22 AM
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14677&highlight=seal+retainer

05-21-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29697&highlight=seal+retainer&page=3

12-19-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33883&highlight=seal+retainer

We beat on noobs for not searching, make it equal and fair treatment for everyone.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
sorry I guess I worded that wrong. I was simply pointing out that there is no dedicated thread with a copy of the tsb and directions of how to do it. all the threads you posted were ones I found before making this thread yes all have something about it in the thread but none of them explain what it is in great detail. I was simply making a thread with all the collective info about this. Considering theres a few people, who I would by no means consider a noob, commenting thanking me for the information its obviously not the most common knowledge.

Simply put I was making a thread with all the info in one place so it can be stickied and easier to find for people who have never heard of a balance shaft seal retainer.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
On another note, removing the balance shafts does more than just free up oil pressure.

It reduces weight obviously, reduces 10 pounds of rotational mass and thus frees up power from the engine, which before was keeping the shafts spinning. Likewise, it makes the engine rev quicker because less parts to accelerate and keep moving at a certain volocity, and the same less parts to slow down when engine speed changes. It raises the oil pressure a little, not sure how much. Also, makes it really easy to do timing belt changes because you don't have those shafts and the one belt to line up and time as well as the engine itself.

Shadow1

Reaction score
sorry I guess I worded that wrong. I was simply pointing out that there is no dedicated thread with a copy of the tsb and directions of how to do it. all the threads you posted were ones I found before making this thread yes all have something about it in the thread but none of them explain what it is in great detail. I was simply making a thread with all the collective info about this. Considering theres a few people, who I would by no means consider a noob, commenting thanking me for the information its obviously not the most common knowledge.

Simply put I was making a thread with all the info in one place so it can be stickied and easier to find for people who have never heard of a balance shaft seal retainer.

Its all good man. Info like this needs to Brit stickied just in case someone looks in the tech section about engines and sees it.

On another note, removing the balance shafts does more than just free up oil pressure.

It reduces weight obviously, reduces 10 pounds of rotational mass and thus frees up power from the engine, which before was keeping the shafts spinning. Likewise, it makes the engine rev quicker because less parts to accelerate and keep moving at a certain volocity, and the same less parts to slow down when engine speed changes. It raises the oil pressure a little, not sure how much. Also, makes it really easy to do timing belt changes because you don't have those shafts and the one belt to line up and time as well as the engine itself.

This is what o was getting at. Thank you for this. At least someone understands me. Lol.

JLaneAccord

Reaction score
I blew my seal, and replaced the seals, BUT there is NO hole in the block to hold the Guard on there?

Shadow1

Reaction score
There should be a screw hole there somewhere. Look at the pic on the 1st page.

I actually plan on taking the belt off. I had totally forgot about this wince I haven't had an accord for like a year. Lol. Now this I remember that its there I think about it every time I drive. Lol. So Thursday I'm taking mine off.

JLaneAccord

Reaction score
There should be a screw hole there somewhere. Look at the pic on the 1st page.

I actually plan on taking the belt off. I had totally forgot about this wince I haven't had an accord for like a year. Lol. Now this I remember that its there I think about it every time I drive. Lol. So Thursday I'm taking mine off.

Nope, no hole in my block. F23a4. NOthing, already new, i bought the kit and everything, but could not put it on?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
The balance shaft eliminator kit? Read the instructions that come with it... You need to drill and tap a hole I believe. There are a bunch of plugs too.

As for the balance shaft retainer piece, there should be a hole there for sure, somewhere.

Back