Bass knob cable alongside power wire?

cliffsta

Reaction score
Hey guys long time no post. I have an audio question not directly related to a 6GA but you guys know EVERYTHING so I'll ask.

If I run my bass knob wire (its basically a telephone line, correct?) alongside the power wire, will I have any interference or electrical concerns?

I'm considering installing my two Punch 10s and P600.2 amp into my 2012 Genesis Coupe. I'll be using LOC to give signal to the amp, so the only wire running through the cabin will be the power wire and the bass knob. And I would really rather not have to pull up the doorsills on both sides of the car if at all possible.

Thanks

SykVSyx

Reaction score
You could, but better to run the bass knob cable on the same side as the RCA's.

You will probably get different opinions about this, but the recommendation is to run the two on separate sides.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Power lines through one side and RCA and bass knob cable on the other.

Do it correctly and you won't have to redo everything later if you get some interference later.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
But an RJ-11 bass knob adjusts voltage through resistance, it does not carry a signal. Right?

Last edited:

CG6>YourCar

Reaction score
Just run it through the center of the car.. Pull a few inches of carpet here and there and voila! :rock:

Macsrule15

Reaction score
you will be fine if thats how you wanna run it... i recomend the other side but if thats ur only way.. go for it it wont hurt anything

cliffsta

Reaction score
There won't be RCAs running the length of the car. The factory amp is in the passenger rear corner of the car, and I'm gonna tap into the factory speaker wire going to the factory 8" subwoofer and install a LOC to get the RCA outputs for the Punch amp. So the only cords in the cabin will be the 4ga from the battery to the amp, and then the bass knob cable from the amp to the center console.

I think schmiddr2 is right but I wasn't sure if the power going through the power wire would bleed any interference into the bass knob's cable, causing false input / unpredictable behavior. The 4ga is pretty beefy and has shielding, but the bass knob cable seems pretty thin.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Power wire does not have shielding, it has sheathing. And power doesn't "bleed". It's an electromagnetic field that creates the possibility of signal interference.

There are 2 kinds of bass knobs connection types. One which uses RCA and one which uses RJ-11. Obviously the RCA type will be susceptible to interference because it is transferring a signal, RJ-11 only adjusts voltage like a gain knob so it is not susceptible.

So technically it would be more likely to introduce interference if it is next to the RCA cable than if it was next to the power wire, although it probably doesn't pass enough current to create a electromagnetic field.

Last edited:

cliffsta

Reaction score
Great answer. Thank you that is what I needed to know. The power wire is probably going to enter the cab on the driver's side, so this works out perfect. The 4ga can go down the driver's side to the trunk and the bass knob cable can come up the same side and make its way to the center console.:rock:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I found an easy to access grommet on the passenger side firewall of mine (also a 4 banger). This way uses significantly less power wire, assuming you can mount your amp on the passenger side. I removed my jack and tools to build an amp rack which uses the jack holder as a support to the rack. It just barely clears the trunk hinge so be aware of that.

Last edited:
Back