Belt tension ?

Theory208

Reaction score
(00 Accord ex sedan)- I'm putting the alternator belt back on and don't know how much tension to put on. My manual says-
(Using a fisherman's scale) 22 lbs applied at 90* in middle of belt (a/c to alt), (amount of deflection in belt) new: 3/16''-1/4'' used: 5/16''- 3/8''.
(Same application for power steering belt), (amount of deflection)- new: 7/16''-1/2'' used: 1/2'' -5/8''
I don't have a fisherman's scale (could get one), but was wondering it there is another way to measure it with out it? Thanks

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
The general consensus is 1/4" belt flex on a 7 in. span of belt and 1/2" belt flex on a 13 in. span of belt. By span of belt, I mean from the A/C to alternator pulley or the A/C pulley to the crank pulley.

Another method is that the belt should not be able to rotate more than 90* in a span.

Last edited:

Theory208

Reaction score
I got the belt tension like this-
Tightened the belt (all bolts to spec) just enough to where it would squeal (with out revving). Turned it off quickly.
Loosened all bolts and put one full rotation (clockwise) on bolt to tighten the belt. Re-tightened all bolts to spec.
Revved engine to red-line to see if it would squeal. It didn't so...
Loosened all bolts and eased off belt tension (half a rotation counter clockwise).
Re-tightened all bolts.
I might be able to back off another quarter turn.
I'd imagine a belt that was to tight would defeat the purpose of lighter pulleys, and put more stress on bearings.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
The more you tighten that belt the more your putting stress on your alternator and everything else that belt runs on. Just follow what brandon was trying to tell you

finch13

Reaction score
Correct, too tight and you're looking at ruining shaft bearings on the compressor, alternator and/or pump.

Your guestimation at it is fairly close, but I'd be a little more accurate with it as the belt will stretch a bit when it's warmed up and maybe start squealing again.

And I just remembered the correct term for "belt flex"; it's DEFLECTION :D

Theory208

Reaction score
And I just remembered the correct term for "belt flex"; it's DEFLECTION :D

Hell, I would have said belt flex too, but I was reading from the book

Back