Belt Tensioner/Idler Pulley

AccordUser

Reaction score
It's about that time for me to replace this part. The bad sound of the bearing got even louder b/c of winter. Any who, I had planned on going with an OEM replacement, but I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the aftermarket BT/IP? My concern is that an aftermarket parts bearings won't compare in longevity to an OEM part. Is this not the case?:goyou:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Timing related parts, I wouldn't go with anything other than OEM personally.

AccordUser

Reaction score
Ok, well. Since it's Sunday and Honda's parts is closed, I can't call. Anyone have any idea how much this OEM part would cost?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Lowest price on OEM honda parts i've found on hondapartscheap.com or oemacuraparts.com

That aside, are you sure and have tested that it is the Belt Tensioner/Idler Pulley? Only reason I mention such is that sometimes the power steering pump bearing can start going bad and emits a sound when cold similar to a supercharger whine.

You can run the car without the PS belt and or a/c belt for a small time to narrow down the noise if you have to.

Last edited:

AccordUser

Reaction score
Well, I bought a mechanic stethescope and probed all the moving pulleys, with the exception of the one on the very bottom. I listened to three, and only one of them sounded different. I may try running with no PS pump though to confirm. I thought about waiting till it just broke since I'll be in town the next couple months, bad idea? I just have never put belts on this car and think it may be bad luck to touch it, ya know, lol. We all have our superstitions.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well, I bought a mechanic stethescope and probed all the moving pulleys, with the exception of the one on the very bottom. I listened to three, and only one of them sounded different. I may try running with no PS pump though to confirm. I thought about waiting till it just broke since I'll be in town the next couple months, bad idea? I just have never put belts on this car and think it may be bad luck to touch it, ya know, lol. We all have our superstitions.

If you got the stethoscope try listening to the PS pump as well as alternator. Having broken my stethoscope I just use a long screw driver and put the screwdrivers butt in my ear to listen lol.

After all better safe and to be set on what you're replacing then to have to replace more and more until you get it right.

As for doing the belts yourself...i'd say its not easy or hard. Can you mess it up if you're not careful/detailed and if you do not mark the belts...Yes.

soccerchamp16

Reaction score

It's not too hard IMO but you just have to make sure you line up your key at the bottom and the small line on your belt crank at the top with the thin line on the other side. And to be safe hand crank till it turnsover twice and listen to make sure everything sounds smooth.

Back