Best gas company thread...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
People need to be putting what motor they have, and if they're auto or manual. Looking at you, Steven. :lawl:

count ur blessings.... 1.5 hours minimum one way :coffee:

Ugh. I lived in Chicago for awhile and had an hour one way, and I vowed never to do that again.

Kum-N-go.

That is seriously the name of a gas station? Terrible.

Damn, that's a long commute. That's like almost 200mi freeway drive in a day, no?

Total, yeah I would think so. 105-115 miles one way, depending on speed.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
IMO, tour uncle is wrong. You should worry about gas quality. Just as I stated above. I got an extra 40-50 miles just by switching gas brands. That's a huge difference to me man. I don't care what anyone says. I've put Walmart gas in my gf truck before and that stuff went done the drain in a hurry. Half a tank got burned up from two hours of driving(one hour to destination. Sat for 5hrs then another hour back). But I put Shell in it and I got a half tank from driving 3hrs one way.

Plus my car runs smoother on Shell gas too. Would you rather have your car run ok with some off brand gas because the gas is cheaper? Or have it run the best it can and get better gas mileage for the gas that's $.10 more a gallon?
Yes, I know what you mean, and I honestly think he is wrong, too. I just need to hear more stuff from him saying why exactly he thinks that way. My problem is that my mpg is not much in difference between Costco's and top brands like Shell. Well, it's not like I use nothing but Costco's or anything. They are not everywhere, so sometimes I choose to pump at Shell if I can't go to Costo. (I wonder how others feel when they use Costco's.)

Shadow1

Reaction score
Yes, I know what you mean, and I honestly think he is wrong, too. I just need to hear more stuff from him saying why exactly he thinks that way. My problem is that my mpg is not much in difference between Costco's and top brands like Shell. Well, it's not like I use nothing but Costco's or anything. They are not everywhere, so sometimes I choose to pump at Shell if I can't go to Costo. (I wonder how others feel when they use Costco's.)

I don't think my dad ever had a problem with Costcos. He shoped there on a regular basis and I've driven all his cars before so I can feel the car running smoothly. But I have never personally used it. Mainly because I don't have a membership. Lol.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Why no Shell in US top tier but it's in the CA top tier?

Fill up at Shell every time, no worries of the price

Filled up last night after work, pump didn't stop on its own but the needle was at the same spot it would be if the pump did stop.

Gotta check my tire pressure when I get out of class, one has a super slow leak but I keep them around 35psi.

2002 V6 ex with all the extras to weigh me down.

New auto trans but still shifts a little funny sometimes.

225k miles on the engine and body

All stock with intake resonator delete.

24mi round trip to school and back, 20mi highway 4 city, four days a week.

Pizza boy four days a week, anywhere from 30-60 miles a day, 100% city. Cash flow is good but looking for a new job.

Girlfriend moved 30 miles away and I go out there once or twice a week so 60-120 more miles a week.

I fill up at least once, maybe twice every week.

I don't drive like a grandpa but I don't floor it every light. Starting to track the mpg's today.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I don't think my dad ever had a problem with Costcos. He shoped there on a regular basis and I've driven all his cars before so I can feel the car running smoothly.
That's nice to hear. Their sign at the station says that they use fuel detergents (techron, nitrogen-enriched, or whatever it's called) 5 times EPA requirement; claiming that it cleans engine, runs better & longer, and emitts less pollution. I did my further research on this, and I found out that they buy fuels from various suppliers, so this is one of the reasons why they're not included on the top tier brands. However, it appears that they're stepping up to the top tier standards with what they call Clean Power fuels. Thus, I'd say their gas is not really a poor quality kind like Arco's & Safeway's, etc. (Unless someone proves me wrong...)

Why no Shell in US top tier but it's in the CA top tier?
I think they just typed in the wrong section. The list of Canada already has "Shell Canada", so I'm pretty sure it just got indented wrong.

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
Based on my experiences, I would rank my top 5 as:
Chevron
Esso
Husky
PetroCan
Costco

F*ck Shell, worked there for a while, car never ran quite as well when running their 89 (albeit marine gas)

Here in the Great White North though, prices are pretty much stable all across town, might see like 1-2 cent difference occasionally, but thats about it.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
People need to be putting what motor they have, and if they're auto or manual. Looking at you, Steven. :lawl:

Sorry Chris ;)

I don't think my dad ever had a problem with Costcos. He shoped there on a regular basis and I've driven all his cars before so I can feel the car running smoothly. But I have never personally used it. Mainly because I don't have a membership. Lol.

People I knew had some problems with their 91 gas at costco, threw them a CEL and they had to use some octane booster to clear the CEL.

Funny how sometimes people say arco mixes water with their gas when water and oil can't mix.

I always care about the quality of fuel I use.

Shadow1

Reaction score
Same here. Gas isn't just gas to me. I've heard a few say that Walmart puts water in their gas. I don't think so. They just have some crappy additive in theirs that makes it crappy gas. Lol.

Shadow1

Reaction score
Sold my 17s. Put my stock wheels back on. 15in with 195/65s. Gas declined noticeably. Half a tank after filling up with Shell 87 and I'm at 212 miles. Same driving style. Same driving route.

So obliviously aftermarket wheels(lighter than stock) and smaller tires make a difference...

Back