Best shocks/struts with OEM springs?

cajun

Reaction score
Yes, I searched. I'm not interested in a drop at this point, but after riding in a friend's new TSX I want to firm up my ride. My suspension is all original and has no problems, but I imagine it's a little looser after 75K miles. Would it be a waste of time/money to just upgrade the shocks/struts while leaving on the OEM springs? Which shocks/struts would give me the biggest handling improvement? I'm probaby going to also add the TL rear sway. I know that upping the rim size would help, but I want to keep my SE rims.

kn0x47

Reaction score
you should get adjustable struts - tokico illumina's or koni yellows. if you really care about improving handling you need to go lower. at least the prokit

kurtage77

Reaction score
you should get adjustable struts - tokico illumina's or koni yellows. if you really care about improving handling you need to go lower. at least the prokit

word, drop it if you really wanna have handling improvements.
Edit: Go with S Techs ;) for a rather subtle drop

Getting bigger rims with a stock suspension won't really make an improvement though because they'll only make your ride higher.
I'd imagine having wider tires would help though.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's only 75k. If you're not having problems with it then I'd leave it alone. You can do other things to firm it up. Sways, strut bars, etc.

If you do end up wanting to change your springs/shocks without much of a drop - KYB GR2's and H&R OE springs or Tanabe GF210's.

01ULEVTW

Reaction score
Cajun, in case you were interested, I currently have the Bilstein HD struts/shocks and H&R OEM Springs on my car, and the ride is much firmer than stock (I switched from the OEM strut/springs; removed this past summer at 73k). I also have the 03' TL Type-S Strut Bar, and from my experience, the handling has improved greatly since the installation of the aforementioned suspension parts.

Last edited:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i think switching to GR2's is a big upgrade from stock shocks... the stock are oil shocks and they get a but soft on the rebound... gas struts offer a better faster rebound... when i had my gr2's with my stock suspension, it felt really good driving around... not too soft, yet not too firm and i got around everywhere

jwong512

Reaction score
I'm running on Tokico Blues with H&R Sport and they're perfectly fine. I think the Blues should work fine on your stock springs. I would also slap on a strut bar if you want a firmer ride. I like the Blues because after I got these, I noticed that my car isn't as "jumpy" as it used to be on stock suspension on the freeway. It might be the springs because they don't extend that much but I'm not sure.

Back