Big stereo install questions?

I4 CG5

Reaction score
So you're not running a crossover at all for the tweeters? That would be the first thing I would do since it should balance out the frequencies to the tweeters and woofer, making it quieter.

My amps used to stay on when I turned my car off also and I just disconnected all the connections for the remote lead and reconnected everything. That might work. You can also wire it so the remote goes into the first amp, then piggy back it (I think that's what its called) so it runs to the other amp. Also, if any part of the remote is touching a hot wire, they will stay on since it says that it is receiving power

For the crackling speakers, when you unplugged the RCAs, you're saying you basically turned off the amp, right? Since no sound input is going into the amp, there will be no sound going into the speaker, thus no sound coming out. Not sure what would cause the crackling other than too much power, but that wouldn't explain it only doing it when you go over bumps

Lastly, you're whining is more than likely caused by a bad ground connection. Did you scrape off the paint at the connection? If you did you may want to relocate it

Hope this helps, and BTW, its probably not a good idea to give the owner of the site attitude

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
My Pioneer 6800 got ripped off so I am using this Sony HU that i got for $20.
I don't think that causes all these problems... nor the gauge wiring nor the connectors/terminals.. I dunno...thanks but no thanks man..its kind of annoying that you gave such a generic answer to multiple specific questions regarding the equipment that I already have

Alright, nevermind then. I didn't read your whole post I was in a hurry. Saw you were talking about a new install with multiple amps so I gave you a little info. If a new install doesn't require any new parts then I guess a cheap website is useless.

You can be rude but that's not going to encourage people to help you. Myself included.

98accordEX

Reaction score
Wildman I do apologize for being rude...I guess I was just discouraged because I got another response on this thread that really didn't help my current situation but I should not expect anything so again I am sorry.

Hey I4 thanks a lot for the comments and advice.

Yea I just connected the MB Quart tweets to the stock wiring. So I assume that there is some sort of crossover in that wiring (probably a weak one designed only for the stock tweeters). I actually disconnected them now and it sounds better. So now I am experimenting back w/ the stock tweets.
Could I just connect another better crossover to the existing wiring coming out the dash holes?
Hey btw has anyone seen what the tan stock EX dash tweeters look like under if you rip the carpet covering off...IMO much better. Just a tan plastic. I will take pics if anyone is interested.

I actually did that with the remote wiring b4 I read this and you are right rewring did seem to fix that.

Yea it's interesting with the RCA things...the back speakers which are connected straight to the speakers w/o going to dash...crackle when I just touch the RCA to the amp inputs..but the front speakers which are hooked up to the wiring in dash don't make any noise when i touch to inputs...the problem on the road however seems like it has gone away for now...I will figures it out

Yea I need to redo the grounds again probably...thank you again

and BTW, its probably not a good idea to give the owner of the site attitude
:eusa_wall:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
Crackling could either be overpowering the speakers (which I doubt, if its only on bumps) or more likely a weak connection. Did you solder the wires together or did you just twist them? Either way, you should double check to make sure you have good connections all around. Also, if you didn't use heat shrink tubing over your connections then you need to redo them and do so. If there's bare wire exposed then it could be bouncing against almost any metal surface in a door or anywhere and that could also be causing problems.

I'm with I4 on the whine, check your grounds first as that's probably the cause. Use some sandpaper and sand off the paint at your grounding point. I would also just use 2 different ground points. There are several easy grounding spots behind the backseat. If you're confident your ground is good, it might also be your wiring causing the whine. 5 -> 9 gauge wire is really too small to be using for what you're trying to do.

I would remove one of your RCA leads. Run an RCA into your 4 channel and then run a short lead from the output on that amp into the input on the 2 channel and just set the HPF on the 2 channel amp to ~80hz or so depending on what kind of sub you're running and how you like it to sound. If the RCA's aren't insulated very well they could be causing signal noise, easiest way to get rid of that possibility is to just use 1 rca.

The tweeters you won't really be able to tune unless you want to experiment with a few different DIY / inline crossovers, or spend hundreds of dollars on a fancy active head unit and even then it would be tricky.

98accordEX

Reaction score
Thanks so much Wildman for the very valuable info. I didn't expect that after being such an :asshole:

Well my problems seem to be fixed for the time being...system sounds pretty good. I am sure it would sound better if I had lower gauge wiring but I couldn't get myself to spend the $ on it. If i didn't live with the gf it'd be a different story as would my whole car.
I think the weak connection on the crackling is it...I need to take my door panels and resecure everything w/shrink tape

I would remove one of your RCA leads. Run an RCA into your 4 channel and then run a short lead from the output on that amp into the input on the 2 channel and just set the HPF on the 2 channel amp to ~80hz or so depending on what kind of sub you're running and how you like it to sound. If the RCA's aren't insulated very well they could be causing signal noise, easiest way to get rid of that possibility is to just use 1 rca.

This is awesome and exacly the kind of info I was looking for. But when you say run one RCA to the 4 channel I would still need to split it to both inputs right? The RCA's aren't the most expensive so this could help...however, would it be better in any way not to have to split the RCAs and run both to the 4 channel and than output to 2 channel?

I'll worry bout tweeters later.

Thanks again

Back