Black steering wheel trim?

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if the 6th gen came with an option for an OEM black steering wheel. All I've seen so far is beige or dark grey, even on the cars with black interior. Did any Accords come with this? Or can I swap the column cover from a TL, CL or Odyssey perhaps?

james'99

Reaction score
I have a black steering wheel. I think all coupes did.

That said, you'll need to get a 2001 black airbag because the 98-00 won't work because you are dual stage. Problem there is they are recalled... If you haven't dealt with your recall yet, maybe you can get a black one and put it in and maybe your dealer won't care when you go in for the reacall? I don't know. I thought they were just replacing the inflator but I don't know if the inflator separates from the bag? They don't sell the inflator separate from the bag it appears...

S823B3110C.gif

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
That's my understanding too, that coupes came with black steering wheels/column shrouds.

My '99 airbag hasn't been recalled, I think the recall is for '01+.

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
I tried to buy a black wheel/column assembly from the partout of a coupe with black interior, and the seller says it's not black but dark grey. What's up with that?

james'99

Reaction score
That's my understanding too, that coupes came with black steering wheels/column shrouds.

My '99 airbag hasn't been recalled, I think the recall is for '01+.

Right, he has an '01 so he'd need the dual stage airbag. That's where I was going with that. Unless you can actually use the '98-'00 airbag on an '01?

I tried to buy a black wheel/column assembly from the partout of a coupe with black interior, and the seller says it's not black but dark grey. What's up with that?

Not sure. I can definitely tell you mine is black though.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

There is no "pure" black interior for the 6GA, it is more of a charcoal/dark gray. I think it's interior code X or something, Honda calls it "Graphite Black" - paint code NH167L.

Steering wheel is pure black though.

Right, he has an '01 so he'd need the dual stage airbag. That's where I was going with that. Unless you can actually use the '98-'00 airbag on an '01?

I gotcha. Maybe there's a way to do that, probably not worth the hassle though.

james'99

Reaction score
I gotcha. Maybe there's a way to do that, probably not worth the hassle though.

Right, that's where I was going but unfortunately, if he swapped a black '01-'02 wheel in, he'd be at the mercy of the dealer as to whether they would service a junkyard airbag for recalls, you know? That's why I was wondering if the inflator is removable since that seems to be the item of concern. He could maybe just get the original wheel serviced and transfer the parts.

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
Actually the airbag isn't a concern whatsoever, I'm just gonna reuse the one I already have. All I'm trying to do is change the color of my wheel/column assembly from dark grey to black.

Back