Bored TB

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score
If your interested in a TB mod, you might want to look into the CL-S TB. (If you have a 98-02 v6)
Im always trying to keep my eyes open for the TB and any parts off that engine! OR the whole engine!!!

Sonnick

Reaction score
Just remember that too big is also not good because you will not be pushing enough air through the larger TB..

walshbj19

Reaction score
what do you think the limit is...64mm ok? i realize theres only so much air these whores can suck in

Crono139

Reaction score
Post reported.

Yes, our TBs can be bored up to 64mm, which is all that you need.

The ones made by Skunk2 (70mm, I believe) are pointless for our motors.

Last edited:

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Reviving old thread, but just got interested in this mod. I'm thinking of getting my whole throttle body bored. I do have most of the bolt-ons that should be a "prerequisite" to the TB boring and IM port-matching, so hopefully this maxbore might be worth it.

Now, the important part. I understand the the TB bore is simply increasing the diameter of the TB, allowing more air in. What I don't understand is the "port-matching" of the IM. Here is a direct quote:

"I also do intake manifold port matching. If you are interested in having it port matched, you need to send it bare, no injectors or sensors. The manifold is sent in the same condition it was sent to me, meaning I do not sand blast manifolds."

Here is the bottom line, what is port-matching the IM and what are its benefits? Is it the same as boring the TB, allowing even more air in addition to the TB bore? Is this also just a plug and play situation on my part?

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Just remember that too big is also not good because you will not be pushing enough air through the larger TB..

Thats not an issue with TBs as it is with exhausts. You're just pulling air through it, the bigger the hole the less resistance the air is going to deal with. They pretty much go as big as they can with they bore out the TB, limited only by fitment issues and strength of the thin walls.

Last edited:

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Now, the important part. I understand the the TB bore is simply increasing the diameter of the TB, allowing more air in. What I don't understand is the "port-matching" of the IM. Here is a direct quote:

Here is the bottom line, what is port-matching the IM and what are its benefits? Is it the same as boring the TB, allowing even more air in addition to the TB bore? Is this also just a plug and play situation on my part?

Correct, he just drills out the inside of the TB to make the walls thinner= bigger diameter. Also he'll put in a bigger butterfly to match the new diameter.

When he does the port matching to the IM I believe all he does is drill away at the very start of the IM where it meets the TB so it has a continuous diameter from the TB going into the IM. Its so that you don't have a bigger diameter TB matching up with the stock diameter IM, because that woulda kinda negate the effort of boring out the TB.

Back