Bouncing speedo needle and no reverse

Tphong

Reaction score
So whenever I'm driving my speedo bounces up and down. H22 and 5 speed swap. Did an led lights on the cluster. Speedo worked fine till now. Ideas? Cluster? Also I can't shift into reverse anymore. 1 problem after another. Feels like there's a wall where reverse is.

Edit:
LED's were installed in spring and speedo worked correctly till now.

**Update 12/30/2013**
Put in a new VSS and still doing the same thing. Now I'm thinking it might be a ground issue. I also tried putting in a different cluster and it was still doing the same thing so I'm ruling out that it's a cluster issue. What grounds should I check? Reverse is working now thanks to a scary fix I found online.

Last edited:

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Re: Bouncing speedo needle

Might be the speed sensor on the trans or the connection, if it worked fine before the LEDs it might be 1 of the plugs behind the cluster. Good luck....

Tphong

Reaction score
The LED's were installed during spring and worked fine till now. Yeah. I'll take it out again to see if the connecters are plugged in good.

Varnell

Reaction score
Check your ground. Mine did this about a year ago. The battery ground wiggled loose. I thought I needed a new thermostat, but then my car wouldn't start. I bought a new starter, new fuses, new battery cables.

All it needed was for me to tighten the grounds. lol

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Check your shift cables & if thats not it, Kiss your trans good bye. Reverse is usually the 1st gear to go out. The jumping speedo is prob because of worn gears or pieces of a gear getting jammed around your sensor. Drain your trans & see what comes out you will know a lot more about whats going on once you do that. Good luck

I didn't see the no reverse part last night........

Got02Accord

Reaction score
That sounds like its your speed sensor for sure. I had the exact same issues in my 05 cr-v. Bouncin speed and also bouncin tach and no reverse at all. My Shift indicator light on the gauge cluster was flashing as well!

Tphong

Reaction score
So, been looking around to see if there's any fixes for the reverse problem and there is, but practically not smart. Basically force it into reverse and pray. This is what I did and it worked but then it get's stuck hard. Took me awhile to get it out of reverse and back to where I started. Still no reverse.

Varnell

Reaction score
5spd? I had an issue shifting into gears. I forced it into gear and it felt like everything under my shifter boot fell out. Really it was the piece in the engine bay that shifts gears. Pretty easy to fix once the problem was found.

Tphong

Reaction score
It's just reverse that I can't shift into. When I say force I mean like lifting a fat lady up once and then can't lift it back up anymore until you rest a little.

Update on the speedo part. Unplugged the connector to my VSS on the tranny now I can read the correct speed I'm going at now, but still have some dips here and there, so I think I just need a new VSS. Or isn't it that if my speedo completely dies that I need a new VSS?

Last edited:
Back