Brain pickin' time coolant related

finch13

Reaction score
Well, it's possible that the connections for the tranny lines were hit somehow and the joint in the metal was cracked and now leaks. If you know it's definitely leaking from the radiator, just get an MT one and call it a day. You won't be able to fix the older one.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Oh something else this doesn't seem to happen when the engine is running only when it is shut off. Recently I have been having to check my tranny fluid a lot. When I jump out of the car to check the trans. fluid I notice no noise then it starts to sound like pot on the stove just before it boils. Then I will start to hear it in the overflow tank starting to bubble up. I take the cap off of the overflow tank and find the little hose gushing out steam. This has happened for almost the three years I have had the car and it randomly happens but has become more frequent lately. I hope this is just something semi-normal granted the car has over 240,000 mile on it now.

OP, next time it happens take a look at the overflow tank and see if fluid is getting dumped into it.

As the system loses pressure as it cools down it starts sucking coolant back into the cooling system (opposite as when it heats up and purges extra coolant). This is why it's important to use a Honda OEM 1.1bar cap.

By the way, you most likely need a temperature gauge sending unit. It's under $30 from Honda (only use a Honda one, I have an aftermarket and it's not accurate at all) and it's located under the distributor with a single wire lead. There's a similar sensor (ECT, engine coolant temp sensor) near it so don't get them confused. Coolant needs to be partially drained (1/2 gallon or so) to change it.

How did you check the thermostat? Place it in a pan of boiling water and watch it open?

My gauge is dead not the sending unit, if I tap the dash it will fluctuate and then sit wherever it wants to, but never more than half way up.

Yep, it took it out and stuck it in a pot of boiling water, it took about a minute or so but it opened up. If i remember correctly the new one is a "Staunt" I got it form advance auto. Same brand for the rad. cap. I did the cap then did the thermo. a couple days later when it didn't stop

I want to fix the gauge but it would require dis-assembly of the cluster and replacing part of it, with I don't have the pair required to do lol. I was thinking of a auto meter unit or something comparable.

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Thermostat or wiring?

I'd like to also mention a radiator related problem to add to this thread.

Anyone ever experience coolant leaking from pipe bung for automatic transmission hookup, that's usually left unplugged in manual transmission accords? The little piece that sticks out like a J from the bottom side of the radiator. Lately I have been having a leak from that area. The stuff just drips out of there.

Are you 5spd swapped Nikita... or 5spd bought? like Finch said probably hit the line coming out of the radiator and cracked it inside, letting coolant leak into the tranny cooler line. GL though!

Back