Brake caliper piston

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
Okay, so I got tired of the brake squeel that I was getting and couldn't figure it out just by looking at it. So I took the brake pads out to inspect them. Turns out the one was wearing out unevenly and this caused the squeak. So, I went to Auto Zone and got some new ones. I got the old ones off and put the new ones on, but I need to move the caliper piston thing, the part that applies pressure on the pads more open to fit the new pads in. I thought all I had to do was push it back in. I tried everything. I used a c clamp like the haynes manual says. I tried wd-40ing the **** out of it. I then took it off and put it in my table vice and cranked the **** out of that...still wont go in. Is there a step I am missing? Or is my caliper fudged up? Also, why do you think the pad would wear out on the bottom half of one earlier?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
it prob froze... u could get the proper tool from autozone to push the piston in... if tht doesn't work, then it froze for sure... also, check the 2 small boots and see if the rod inside moves freely... u might need to clean out the rod inside and regrease the boot (i dunno if the actual part is called a rod, but tht's wat i call it :D )

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
You mean the little pin thing attached to the spring? I didn't mess with that at all. Do I need to take that out before I push the piston in. If it's frozen should I just go buy another caliper? I want to avoid getting butt raped by one of the local shops. They are outrageous for brake work. Last time they quoted me 70 bucks as part of the bill for bleeding the system. I laughed in his face and left.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Rear or front caliper? Rear caliper pistons thread in. Fronts should be just press in. It sounds like you need a new caliper though. The guide pins are possibly worn, and with as much force as you said you have used to push the piston in it was, or probably is now, damaged.

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. It was one that needed to be turned in and luckily was undamaged when I did it this morning. :)

Back