BRAKE light indicator stays on?????why???

wesmac

Reaction score
I have had this car nearly 5 years, and yesterday I pulled out of the driveway and the BRAKE indicator light stayed on for about 2 miles. This happened today also? Its been getting into the 20`s lately, but thats never meant anything before? Whats up!?

f23accord2000

Reaction score
i noticed that too but i ended up taking the sensor out of the driver side and replacing it with a new one and it has never happend again sensor was 25 buck at honda and also in the bulbs if you have a bad filament in the bulb or it is going bad the light will go off also our system is very picky also just check the connection to the brake lightsand look at the fliaments if there orange on the prongs in the bulb or one of the filaments are kinda frade and bent a little thats means its going bad

Last edited:

thejameshimself

Reaction score
I had the same problem -

Ever had a high pressure brake flush? The fluid in them eventually becomes gummy and the sensor gets stuck like that.

At least that's what the guy at the dealership told me.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Your float that is connected to your brake cap is not floating freely. Or you probably need to add some brake fluid if ur brakes are a little worn down. No major issue, usually...

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
It could be a lot of things really. This happened to me and I checked the brake fluid and it was getting low. It happened right around when it was getting cold, but mine was coincidence lol. Turned out one of my brake calipers went bad somehow and was leaking. But I also agree with what F23accord2000's saying, because i've heard that the sensors are a common problem on these cars. I would get it checked, because it really could be unsafe to drive...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
and also in the bulbs if you have a bad filament in the bulb or it is going bad the light will go off also our system is very picky

no, thats a different light. thats the "brake lamp" light.

it could be the sensor itself, or it could be your actual brakes. if your pads are getting low, it takes more fluid to have them pressed in so far...so the fluid level gets lower in the reservoir. when that happens, and it trips off the sensor, the "BRAKE" light will come on.....the same light that comes on when you pull up your ebrake.

now, when your cars cold, all the fluids are as well, and brake fluid can warm up. so what might be happening is that your fluid level could be just at that level where it sets off the light because of your pads being worn. then when the fluid is warmed up, after youve used your brakes a couple times, it could be back up to a better level where it wouldnt set off the sensor.

Back