Brake pedal firm then soft then firm then soft

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
Noticed today my brake pedal at random times becomes alot more firm, then a minute later I need to push more on the pedal to brake. Then a few brakes later it's real firm again, then a lot softer. Can't stay at a certain level. I'm used to the softer feel though. When I say softer I don't mean putting the pedal to almost the floor, but more so "normal." This has seemed to happen when the engine is cold yet I don't know what's up? Only started today.. I don't have ABS, btw.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
First thought is air in your lines, when’s the last time you bled them?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Yes, try bleeding the brakes, sounds like you may have some air in the lines.

jwong512

Reaction score
Try bleeding your car first and see how it feels. If that doesn't work, then your master cylinder is probably failing. I would check your line though to see if there are any leaks before you jump to conclusions.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
aere.jpg

sounds like you got some air in there!

Last edited:

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
So I got the car back brakes all fixed... they bled the brakes twice, didn't do anything so before ruling out the master cylinder they looked around more. said the one bolt to my caliper was so rusted/extra tight which was causing the caliper to grip on an angle? therefore half the time when the brake pedal was soft and mushy it was gripping late. he said he had a hell of a time getting the bolt out. replaced it and boom my brakes are fine again. Not sure if it makes sense to you because it barely does to me :henry:

Back