Brakes making crazy annoying noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Since the last week my car would randomly make a squealing sound when I'm driving. It would stop when I brake. It MAY change it's tone when I am applying the brakes but I am not sure. What can this problem be?

You wanna get on that problem pretty quick. Normally when your brakes wear the metal indicator will scratch against the rotor when you apply the brakes and make a squeeling sound. When you're not presssing the brakes tho, there will be no sound.

Whats happened in your case however, is that the pad has worn down so much that metal has become exposed and is randomly grinding into your rotor when you're driving, this is no longer the indicator, you've gone well beyond that point. Also this is the reason why the sound is different/doesn't happen when you do brake. The same thing happened to me, just make sure you change em pretty soon so you avoid damage to the rotors.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Just so I am more informed, what is the job of the brake pads and what is the job of the rotors?

The rotors spin on the hub with the wheel. When you hit the brake pedal.. brake fluid is pumped to the brake caliper, which then squeezes the brake pads against the rotor, causing friction, which slow the car.

Rotors also get warped / cracked, grooved... which causes the pads not to grip as much, and you loose braking power. As a tip, try to change your rotors when you change your pads.

No pads, no friction, no stopping... instant accident.

saudiq9023

Reaction score
damn my car is making the same noise..but my pads are good but my rotor looks a little worn down..it has a fat lip..idk what its really called but the upper part of the rotor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back