Brakes need changed, suggestions appreciated.

ejreams

Reaction score
I was planing on a DIY
except for I might need my rotors turned, but they all appear ok there are not indentations or obvious signs of scoring.

So that leaves me with just doing the rear pads since the front ones have time left on them.

Unless of course someone suggests otherwise.

I was going to buy new rear pads of H&A for $54 shipped.
and just do it myself because I got a quote today for $171 for the rears.

Opinions/Suggestions welcome.

finch13

Reaction score
Rear disc brakes with ABS need the caliper cube from Sears ($8) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999811000P?keyword=brake+tools

-Use a file on the stainless steel pad retainer clips in the caliper bracket. Get them as clean as possible, file down the tabs on the pads so you get a smooth sliding fit.
-Use high temp moly grease or disc brake grease on the back of the pads where the caliper contacts them and on the tabs they slide on.
-Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap so you don't blow it off pushing the rear caliper piston in.
-Clean off and apply plenty of grease to the caliper slide pins (the long ones you pull out to take the caliper off)
-Spray the rotors off with regular chlorinated brake cleaner (not the pussy environment "friendly" stuff). Grease on the braking surfaces will make your braking "grabby".

Do yourself a favor and get some Wagner or Hawk pads, they will be cheaper and perform better than OEM.

arise257

Reaction score
Rear disc brakes with ABS need the caliper cube from Sears ($8) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999811000P?keyword=brake+tools

-Use a file on the stainless steel pad retainer clips in the caliper bracket. Get them as clean as possible, file down the tabs on the pads so you get a smooth sliding fit.
-Use high temp moly grease or disc brake grease on the back of the pads where the caliper contacts them and on the tabs they slide on.
-Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap so you don't blow it off pushing the rear caliper piston in.
-Clean off and apply plenty of grease to the caliper slide pins (the long ones you pull out to take the caliper off)
-Spray the rotors off with regular chlorinated brake cleaner (not the pussy environment "friendly" stuff). Grease on the braking surfaces will make your braking "grabby".

Do yourself a favor and get some Wagner or Hawk pads, they will be cheaper and perform better than OEM.

Finch, the caliper cube you linked to - is that a must for resetting the parking brake piston or can you do the job without it? I'm gonna swap the stock disks for cross-drilled ones soon, maybe this week.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
Finch, the caliper cube you linked to - is that a must for resetting the parking brake piston or can you do the job without it? I'm gonna swap the stock disks for cross-drilled ones soon, maybe this week.

its a must to retract the piston for the rear caliper. you can actually rent the tool at autozone.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Push back the piston huh?

Would a C-clamp work? I've got a couple laying around.

Not on ABS pistons because they turn out instead of coming straight out. You can use a pliers if you want, but the cube would make life easier and it's cheap.

Akodo

Reaction score
at this website they have installation guides for all and any part, so it made it easier for me when i was installing my CV boot :)

http://hondapartsnow.com

Their prices seriously low compared to my local dealership, saved over 80 bucks mang, foreals.

And brake pads wise, they got them fo cheap too.

They have
Installation guides
OEM parts
cheap pricing
Easy to use catalog

try em out, i love em haha

Back