Broken bolt, don't know how long

whitederic

Reaction score
Alright, so here's my problem and I'm can't for the of me think of the name for the part.
The bolt between my spark plugs seems to be broken. It doesn't come out but it doesn't tighten either, it just spins. I don't know how long it has been like this but I want to know of it can become an issue if not taken care of.

Thanks for any help.

whitederic

Reaction score
c57574c321111eb9d3b48a84e6a80fdc.jpg

Not my engine, snagged it off Google but the bolt is circled in red

james'99

Reaction score
Unplug the coil pack and pull on it while you unscrew it. Inspect the bolt. Is it stripped? Replace. Otherwise, I guess its possible that the hoe on the valve cover is screwed in which case you would probably get one from a junkyard off of an 00-02 accord. The 98-99 had a distributor setup so those are different.

Last edited:

whitederic

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, not the screw for the coil pack but the silver screw for the valve cover. It would be number 9 in the first link. Would it cause any problems to drive it as it is now?

james'99

Reaction score
I mean, would you be leaking oil to drive it? How tight is that valve cover down? Can you lift it up in that spot?

whitederic

Reaction score
It seems to be sitting pretty tight. I just need it last 10 miles (to stealership and back). Hopefully they have 1 in stock. I can deal with SOME leaking oil but I don't want anything major to happen driving it.
If it comes down to it I'll just end up pulling my motorcycle out.

james'99

Reaction score
It seems to be sitting pretty tight. I just need it last 10 miles (to stealership and back). Hopefully they have 1 in stock. I can deal with SOME leaking oil but I don't want anything major to happen driving it.
If it comes down to it I'll just end up pulling my motorcycle out.

Go a mile or two, assess. Then continue. That's how I would do it.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
that bolt I'd cut the head off, I don't think its needed, many car's don't have one.

If it is needed, or to look 'perfect', try a helicoil.

After you cut the head off, pull the COP, you can maybe pry it out with vice grips, then the helicoil. A set will be ~$10 for ~20, but I have a few spares (you need the kit). I even made one for my timing belt tensioner (really, I made one from a spare bolt).

hqdefault.jpg

whitederic

Reaction score
Go a mile or two, assess. Then continue. That's how I would do it.
Thanks James.

Made it to the dealer and back, pulled it all apart and found the bolt was snapped. Used picks to slowly spin it out enough to grab it with pliers and finish get it out.

The only downside, they wanted $16 for 1 bolt :mad:

Back