Broken Spark Plug in cylinder! HELP

HighTech

Reaction score
Today I decided to do my spark plugs. The first plug I tried to remove, the socket got stuck on the plug. Despite my best efforts to remove it i ended up breaking the porcelin (white part on top of plug) into pieces and now the plug is in the cylinder with white pieces every where. I did remove the socket.

how can I solve this??????

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
What you need to do is vacuum out the shrapnel in there and put the socket back in there and turn it counter-clock-wise to screw it out.. Then get a retractable telescopic magnet for $2 at AutoZone and magnet out the plug from the area. I know, scenarios like this suck.. I've had one 10x worse.. Let me know if you care to hear, compared to my issue - this is cake. My spark plug/hole issue cost $190 to fix.. for something stupid.

HighTech

Reaction score
Thanks for the very quick reply. We don't have an AutoZone im in Ontario but ill find something. Are the ceramic parts magnetic? Cause i dont have a vacuum. and also if there are scratches in the hole where the spark plug is is that bad or should it not matter??

001Stunna

Reaction score
Today I decided to do my spark plugs. The first plug I tried to remove, the socket got stuck on the plug. Despite my best efforts to remove it i ended up breaking the porcelin (white part on top of plug) into pieces and now the plug is in the cylinder with white pieces every where. I did remove the socket.

how can I solve this??????

So did you remove the plug or is it stuck inside still threaded on?
Or did you remove it and some pieces fell inside the the engine cylinder. If you dont have a vacuum just head to CanadianTire and get a shop vac. They have one on sale for like $30-40 now i think.

PS. Next time put a bit of lubricant in you sparkplug socket, and change your plugs when engine is cold.

PS. Where about in toronto are you? I can lend a hand if you're around me as it seems you're having trouble after trouble with that car.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
naw the scratches should be fine. you really wanna just make sure you get all the little pieces of stuff outta there.

and if you dont have a vacuum then how do you vacuum your house?.. but even the smallest and low-end vacuum should do the job. cause i doubt all the stuff in the hole is magnetic

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score
^Word.

So did you remove the plug or is it stuck inside still threaded on?

PS. Next time put a bit of lubricant in you sparkplug socket, and change your plugs when engine is cold.

This is a newb question but may I ask why changing the plugs while the engine is cold?

001Stunna

Reaction score
^Word.

This is a newb question but may I ask why changing the plugs while the engine is cold?

From life experience and ppl cracking the threads on aluminium heads when doing so on a hot engine. In addition for what its worth i believe that even metal might undergo some expanding and constricting when hot/cold. Hence changing the plugs out on a room temp/cold engine would be a the general accepted measure. Plus it could affect the torque specs and allow one to easily overtorque the plugs on a hot engine.

JDMpower25

Reaction score
i had a case before where a guy cross threaded the spark plug. i removed the plug. tapped the hole and removed all metal shavings with long thin screw driver dipped in vaseline / or thick grease. will possibly work on removing the porcelin. good luck man.

HighTech

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thanks for all the replies.

001Stunna: it wasnt seized or anything I just broke the ceramic white part and it shattered but I borrowed my neighbors shop van and we sucked out all of the pieces then used a proper spark plug socket to take it out so its all good :thumbsup:

JDMcg3: My mom clogged the central vac the same day this happened...talk about back luck lmfao.

I only change the plugs when the engine is cold and i will be applying anti seize on the NGK iridium plugs i get

Back