broken throttle wire latch

hondaluver

Reaction score
99 sedan LX 4 cyl. I was taking up the slack on the two throttle wires and it seems the inner wire had come loose. Upon further inspection, it looks as though the spring mount plastic has broken and now the wire has no place to hold on to. What is this unit called and is it a simple bolt on bolt off replacement?

james'99

Reaction score
You'll need to purchase a new throttle body or modify your current one to work. I'm sure you can repair it. This would definitely be a part you would purchase used though.

Connie

Reaction score
99 sedan LX 4 cyl. I was taking up the slack on the two throttle wires and it seems the inner wire had come loose. Upon further inspection, it looks as though the spring mount plastic has broken and now the wire has no place to hold on to. What is this unit called and is it a simple bolt on bolt off replacement?

This happened on my v6 too.

The easiest thing to do is just replace the whole throttle body with a junkyard one.

When it happened to me, I had the cruise control on and floored it to pass someone up a hill, and because the hook in the throttle linkage where the ball in the end of the cruise cable hooks into was worn and I am hard on my throttle all the time, the cruise control cable actually popped off of the linkage and jammed itself behind the throttle while the throttle cable held the throttle open. When I took my foot off of the gas, the loose cruise control cable was stuck behind the throttle linkage, causing the throttle to stick wide open at 80mph just as I crested a mountain near Pyramid Valley on I-77 in West Virginia.

So I'm right in the middle of my stout Vtec V6 powerband cresting a mountain with the throttle stuck wide open. Ended up at over 100mph before I realized the brakes weren't gonna stop it and had to jam it in neutral and let it bounce off the rev limiter until I got her off the interstate. Scary.

Popped the hood and as soon as I touched the linkage the loose cruise cable popped out and the throttle snapped shut. Needless to say no more cruise control on that journey. Also had to buy pads and rotors all around and flush the brake fluid after that. Smoke was coming from all 4 wheels and the smell of brake pad and hot brake fluid filled the air.

My replacement throttle body wore out the exact same way, but I was wise enough to regularly check it since my car tried to kill me the first time. So I have just removed the cruise control cable until I can get another throttle body. I paid $25 for the last used one and it only takes 20 minutes to swap out.

If anything, tie that loose cable out of the way somewhere so you wont have a similar experience.

Back