build and boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkaccord20

Reaction score
motor build for boost

waz up everybody? new to 6thgen? just wanted some suggestions on what type of work i should do under the hood of my accord. it is a 98 sedan lx auto. im doin the 5 spd tranny conversion. but my motor has like 135,000 miles on it. what type of build should i do. im not rich im still in school so im not lookin to have the fastest on the road. i want to boost it what type of kit should i be lookin for. i heard that Fmax is pretty good. this is my daily driver so i want to be safe as possible. i know i should replace and or upgrade some things with the motor. what type of build should i do? all suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

skabone

Reaction score
well budget, and turbo do not belong in the same breath. you better be prepaired to shell out some cash for a turbo setup. you need the kit, and you'll also need a managment system like the AEM EMS, or the greddy e-manage system. To remain safe, I wouldn't push the engine harder than 8psi. especially with an engine with high milage. If you want to do it right I'd recommend reading notoriousB's engine build thread on the sister site to this site E-H. you can learn a lot from what he went thru to get to where his accord is now. its still a work in progress, but its a monster. but if you want to go the NA route there is a thread going on here that is helpful. What exactly are you goals? lots of hp? just a little extra pep but a fun daily driver?

blkaccord20

Reaction score
yeah i know that i have to get the kit and the management. i am not lookin to put down any sick numbers right now. just lookin to put down well into the 200whp maybe even close to 300whp. nothin to sick ya know? just a quick fun daily driver like u said somethin that will turn some heads. ya know? what yall think?

Last edited:

skabone

Reaction score
if your going to run low boost then do it up. but the one thing I would also recommend is to get a compression and a leak down test done because you've got a lot of miles to start boosting and it would really suck to fry your motor after you install everything. but if something does happen, F23s are really cheap to replace. I got my used F23 with 19K miles on it for $500. I fried my motor earlier this year and had to replace it. my engine had 150K miles of heavy abuse from me.:D

blkaccord20

Reaction score
lol i feel u. yeah i am def. goin to get the comp tested and the gaskets and seals done. what type of setup should i run? open to all suggestions.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
if you're fearful of the motor being so old you could do an H22 swap or you could do the G23 (F23 block with H22/H23 head). you'll get DOHC VTEC with the torque of the F23. the head is about 300 hundred and the installation/labor shouldn't be more than that if that much. total...about 600 mayhaps? but then again you have to SERIOUSLY know what you are doing.

before we get any further, what are your current mods. do you have anything as of right now? a nice cat-back (not some bull**** ebay *** brand) will do you wonders. a testpipe or a free flow cat is nice. a throttle body spacer, bigger throttle body, fuel rails, fuel injectors (depending on amount of boost), maybe a VAFC. Nitrous oxide could be an option.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
me too. some local retailer of "car stuff" i called and asked for a pricing quote. they said for me to come in instead so he can "do whatever it takes to earn my business" so they say. if i can convince them that i can get it on ebay cheaper than what they retail, i might ask for free installation and a free window switch. or something free.

blkaccord20

Reaction score
lol i feel u work them to get yours. but naw i am completely stock right now just an AEM intake thatz it.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
my only advice is before you start buying all types of stuff be 100% sure what route you want to go. you don't want to pay for header, intake, and N/A stuff when later you want to go turbo, and then sell the N/A stuff at half price or less. any doubts in anything, buy a book, buy a hayne's performance manual, haynes repair manual, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask a question here. people on 6thgenaccord are REAL nice and REAL tolerant. if you go to Honda-Tech they will dick smack you for asking simple questions they think anyone should know, but hey, you know what, not everybody knew anything about cars when they first start right? so always ask what something does before buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back