Burning what I think is oil???

doubleclutch

Reaction score
2001 EX Coupe, f23a4, 5speed, 140xxx mi

i know the car has been burning some oil when in the higher rpms, but I have just been checking the oil regularly and not worrying about it. I installed Megan Racing headers yesterday and when i took a video to get a sound clip of it i noticed a lot of smoke coming out. Granted it was a cold start (first time i turned it on this morning) so naturally there was some condensation and what not but then the smoke turned blue :/ even at low revs around 2k it was puffing out blueish smoke. im posting the video later but should i be worried? and has anybody else had this problem before?

Thanks

greekpizza

Reaction score
2001 EX Coupe, f23a4, 5speed, 140xxx mi

i know the car has been burning some oil when in the higher rpms, but I have just been checking the oil regularly and not worrying about it. I installed Megan Racing headers yesterday and when i took a video to get a sound clip of it i noticed a lot of smoke coming out. Granted it was a cold start (first time i turned it on this morning) so naturally there was some condensation and what not but then the smoke turned blue :/ even at low revs around 2k it was puffing out blueish smoke. im posting the video later but should i be worried? and has anybody else had this problem before?

Thanks

i believe black smoke is oil and white or (blue) smoke is water, i could be wrong. But my guess would be head gasket starting to go or maybe an intake manifold gasket. My head gasket went twice haha, i fixed it myself both times but the first time the car would blow huge white clouds out the back haha almost like smoke screen. but anyways i would watch it, check your oil for coolant and your coolant for oil this is a indicator of a head gasket failure, if it does end up being the head gasket be sure to use a oem gasket. also is there any chance your car is running super rich? Have you done anything with the 02 sensors lately

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Actually black smoke means he would be running rich, and white/light blueish means he is burn oil. OP I do a compression and leak down test if I were you.

doubleclutch

Reaction score
my family is leaning towards piston rings. it makes sense but im not sure. its not a head gasket tho, coolants clean. and right now the car is just sitting for weeks at a time since im at college. So ill be nice to her when i do drive and keep an eye on things. and when i go back for break ill do a compression and leak down check. thanks for all the ideas. it always helps to get second opinions on things

001Stunna

Reaction score
White smoke - burning coolant
blue smoke - burning oil
black smoke - running rich

On your case doing a compression test/leak down test will possibly help you further follow the issue. That being said, i'm hoping someone in your family turns on the car and takes it for a 10-15min spin at least once a week.

doubleclutch

Reaction score
The cars with me on campus. Dont worry I'll take any excuse to bust her out and go for a spin :D

Back