Buying a rebuilt title

stsimon

Reaction score
Hoping you wise folks will have some advice. I've been looking for a car for a while and recently came across an 01 Accord (2dr EX, manual, FWIW). Condition is relatively decent, and price seems good for my student budget ($3500 - because of a bunch of smallish issues, I'm hoping to be able to negotiate down somewhat). Huge caveat - it has a rebuilt title, as per carfax, the result of a Flood Damage Title in December 2005. At the time the vehicle had some 48k miles on it. Six+ years later, it now has 119k miles and seems to run fine. Most recent owner reportedly had it for 2+ years, 20k miles; the guy before him for 40k. Dealer got it from him as a trade-in - they say he tells them he had no issues.
Can anyone advise how worried I should still be about the flood title (which I understand is generally something to stay far away from) given that it seems to have put on plenty of miles since then?
Any advice is much appreciated!!

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
I remember there was a topic about a flooded car, I'd still stay away from it unless the whole interior was swapped out, wires all were replaced, and etc. It's like buying a car that got caught on fire.

Just save the hassle and get a clean title car as a daily driver. If it ever gets into a wreck or stolen, insurance will give you more money for a clean title car than a salvage or rebuilt title car.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: it might run fine for now, but it will catch up sooner or later. Save yourself the headache and stay away from it.

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
Also, too many places for you to begin looking for rust. Could be all over, things covering it up. Sketchy business if you ask me...

Macsrule15

Reaction score
i bought my 4dr dx 5 speed with 170k on it for 3500 with a touchscreen pioneer and alpine mids and highs... sound like a steep price for a flood car... hope you find something better!

stsimon

Reaction score
thanks for the input. I found the other thread on the subject, where the consensus also seemed to be stay away. I'm still uncertain though,since in this case it has been on the road for so long since the title change - is it possible the flood damage was actually not that extensive? Someone suggested that perhaps there had been a flood in the area and they wrote off all the cars around, even if the damage was minimal. I'm having my mechanic check it out - what would be particularly important to check on? (Price wise, similar Accords are going on my local Craigslist for around 4-5k)

ShaGGy21

Reaction score
Not worth the headache bro trust me . My father had bought a salvaged title navigator and we were never able to register it here nj . They wanted all types of old pics and receipts for parts in order for it to even pass salvage inspection . I assume a flooded car would probably give you the same issues . Best bet is to stay away no matter how good it may look or run . I learned the hard way

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying about the time period and mileage the car has driven since the reported flood damage. But the issue with this type of damage is that the time when things do start going wrong is uncertain (electrical issues, rust, etc). This car could possibly be okay, but you don’t know for sure, and do you really want to invest in it if you cannot be sure it is perfectly functional and won’t screw you over?

I guess what I’m saying here is, when there is doubt it’s best to walk away. Always better safe than sorry.

Back