Buying an Accord - things to look out for?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I can't honestly say I have seen an SMR Accord with paint fade.

Same goes for an 01-02 with rust issues, that doesn't mean you shouldn't rust proof the car if you live somewhere that gets the roads salted.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
98-00 and 01-02 paint are both fine, it's how people take care of the car that matters. No particular year or paint code had more problems than another.

SMR isn't anything special, it's a nice red with good depth which is changes depending on the lighting. Sometimes it's a gleaming bright red, other times it looks like a darker red or almost maroon.

Rust completely depends on where the car was driven, and again, how well it was maintained.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Oh how I wish my car was not an automatic... Nice find man, hope everything works out for you with the buy. Would be yet another CG owner that also has a CB.

markj

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the paint. Yeah none of my family's cars have paint problems, we wash them about once every two weeks and always take care of the undercarriage too. I've never seen an SMR Honda with paint problems either so I guess that just makes for extra peace of mind.

Can't wait to see this car today. I'll snap some pics and have them up later. I just wish I could find a car like this only Noble Green :(

markj

Reaction score
Just got back from checking out the car. Owner and his girlfriend were nice people and pretty honest from what I could tell.

First thing I noticed was that the car was repainted. He admitted that it had been in an accident up front. The nose was repaired, and he claimed that the hood was so crunched that it broke the windshield... Indeed, there was evidence of a repaint. The top of the windshield's black rubber trim had a bit of overspray on it, as did the rear ends of the doors. The insides of the doors were noticeably more faded than the outside. Overall, from what I could see, the paint itself wasn't bad. Quality was good and the body only had a few dings in it. Front bumper had a sign of impact on the left corner, probably post-accident. He told me that both front air bags deployed but he only changed the driver's.

The engine bay was very clean. Owner seemed to know a bit about his car cause he said he only ever used NGK plugs and wires, and refused to put anything less than premium in it. He'd put a Spectre cold air intake on as well as HIDs. He said the clutch was two months old. The car ran very well and to me at least seemed to prove it was well taken care of. Unfortunately we had met up in a Lowes parking lot during rush hour and traffic was at a stand still, so I could only test drive it around the crowded lot and only reached about 30... not good. But the clutch felt great, shifter slid effortlessly into all of the gears. Never realized how silent these Accords were lol I kept hitting 3k when I wasn't watching the tach.

The interior was extremely clean, but I noticed that the passenger door handle had ACCORD 98 written on it, so that was obviously from a junkyard. He has a Pioneer GPS flip-out head unit in it with Alpine speakers and two Audiophile (I think?) subs in the trunk, included with the car for an extra $800. But I don't think I'll go for the system if I go for the car, I don't really care.

Overall, from the tiny test drive I got in, the car drove well. Mechanically, I have no qualms. But it was after I left and ran the VIN on AutoCheck that things got ugly...

http://michaelkiaofgroton.com/AutoCheckHandler.ashx?sid=5121681&vin=1HGCG31791A013977#full-history

What bothers me the most is the mileage. Notice there is evidence of a possible rollback. May be a clerical error but if you guys have any thoughts, please share. Kinda skeptical as to why the original owner only had the car for a couple of months before seemingly getting rid of it. Car was also at an auction at one point :confused:

So for his asking price of $4000 without the system, what do you think? My dad approves of the car.. he's some sort of Asian MacGyver, automotive/anesthetic/electrical/mechanical/aeronautical engineer. He said even with it having been in an accident, it's still a pretty good car. The repaint was apparently done two years ago and is holding up very well, so I guess no worries there for now.

So... $4000? Dad's saying to start at 3k. OR, should I stay away from the car in general?

Oh and my bad... completely forgot to take pics.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Honesty is good. But with that much front end damage...the frame is probably bent. And that, you don't want to mess around with imo. But 133k isn't terrible since it's a manual. If it was an auto I'd be more skeptical. But it really depends on how well it was kept up. Did he have maintenance records?

If he knew much about the car, he wouldn't have put premium in it since it was engineered to run on 87, and runs/burns better on it. But he was right about using NGK plugs.

markj

Reaction score
I don't think he has any records. In my haste to look at the car, I neglected to ask and he didn't mention either.

Yeah the dude said he only ever put premium in it. I agree with you that regular is just fine but I was always taught that going up won't help but won't hurt either? I was pleasantly surprised that he knew to use NGK, too. He said that in the two years he's owned it, the timing belt was done as well.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Search around on the gas thing. But the most important issue here is the front end damage, that frame could be bent so I'd have a trusted mechanic look at it. And I would definitely ask him for maintenance records.

Back