Buying another 6th gen!!!

deucescorner

Reaction score
So i've been looking around for another 6th gen but this time a coupe.

I found a '98 v6 coupe with 80000miles. The guy tells me that he got it inspected and it needs new pads/rotors, balljoint. He then tells me that there is a lag with the transmission. Now my previous accord had a lag but nothing major and never while rolling. He says there is a lag when he puts it into drive or reverse also when the car is downshifting it's slower.

Faulty tranny? My previous 6thgen was an automatic i4. I know the v6 trannys are pos but it only has 80000miles on it.

He's selling it for $3600usd. What do you guys think

DrOwZee

Reaction score
80k miles for 3600 is pretty cheap, but sounds like the tranny might go out soon?

Marino

Reaction score
The price seems ok since there's a high demand for accords in Montreal, although I wouldn't say it's a ''deal''. I would pass though, considering the infamous 6th gen tranny. Did you consider a 5 speed instead?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
So i've been looking around for another 6th gen but this time a coupe.

I found a '98 v6 coupe with 80000miles. The guy tells me that he got it inspected and it needs new pads/rotors, balljoint. He then tells me that there is a lag with the transmission. Now my previous accord had a lag but nothing major and never while rolling. He says there is a lag when he puts it into drive or reverse also when the car is downshifting it's slower.

Faulty tranny? My previous 6thgen was an automatic i4. I know the v6 trannys are pos but it only has 80000miles on it.

He's selling it for $3600usd. What do you guys think

If you're in Montreal, Canada, are you buying the Accord from the US? I would definately want to test drive it to confirm what he is describing, it also sounds like it might not have been well maintained?

Glad to see you're getting back in to a 6GA!

deucescorner

Reaction score
The price seems ok since there's a high demand for accords in Montreal, although I wouldn't say it's a ''deal''. I would pass though, considering the infamous 6th gen tranny. Did you consider a 5 speed instead?

My 1st choice is a 5spd, but i just can't find any with my requirements. I'm not sure about the demand of accords in Mtl. It took forever to sell my previous 6thgen

deucescorner

Reaction score
If you're in Montreal, Canada, are you buying the Accord from the US? I would definately want to test drive it to confirm what he is describing, it also sounds like it might not have been well maintained?

Glad to see you're getting back in to a 6GA!

car is local. That was my first reaction too. Maintenance might or probably was neglected.

After speaking to the guy, i soon realized that he knew nothing about cars. So it might just be regular lag from those transmissions.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
car is local. That was my first reaction too. Maintenance might or probably was neglected.

After speaking to the guy, i soon realized that he knew nothing about cars. So it might just be regular lag from those transmissions.

If it's under the recall, perhaps you can get the tranny swapped by Honda, if not, I know getting parts to mod an Accord seem to be pretty easy in Montreal, from all the other Montrealer's I know on here/TAC, a 6spd swap should definately be something to consider if all else is good with the car.

Would highly recommend a THOROUGH inspection of it though. Price is a bit high as well, I would say closer to $3K than $4K.

Back