Can someone tell me if my instrument cluster lights are working??

lektrix

Reaction score
The switch on the left, when I turn it on at night, the instrument cluster lights come on, radio/ac lights come on.... when I turn it a second time, nothing happens. What is supposed to happen on the second setting? I ask this because I bought the car used (my very first car) so I have no idea what is right and what is supposed to be working.

Also, the car is US-bought so the Miles/h lights are on but the KM/h lights are not... was it meant to be this way or is there a way I can get the KM/h lights to turn on too at night??

(if this is indeed a light bulb that needs to be replaced, can you please kindly refer me to which model I need?)

Thanks!!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you're talking about your headlight switch, at the first click all instrument/clock/HVAC/radio lights should illuminate - this 1st click turns on the exterior parking lights. At the second click, all the aforementioned interior lights should still be on - this 2nd click activates your headlights.

Only primary speedo lights come on, so if it's a MPH cluster, the KPH numbers do not illuminate.

lektrix

Reaction score
If you're talking about your headlight switch, at the first click all instrument/clock/HVAC/radio lights should illuminate - this 1st click turns on the exterior parking lights. At the second click, all the aforementioned interior lights should still be on - this 2nd click activates your headlights.

Only primary speedo lights come on, so if it's a MPH cluster, the KPH numbers do not illuminate.

Thank you for that precise answer.

Do you know if there is any quick/easy/cheap mod to get the KPH numbers on the MPH cluster to illuminate? Or should i replace the entire instrument cluster with an aftermarket one?

(I already have the MPH to KPH calculations memorized but I want to make it easier for other people that may drive my car)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Some glow gauge sets may have the secondary numerals illuminated. The OEM faces have them printed on, whereas the primaries are on a transparency.

Anything other than simply changing the cluster bulbs will not be quick/cheap/easy.

Last edited:

lektrix

Reaction score
Some glow gauge sets may have the secondary numerals illuminated. The OEM faces have them printed on, whereas the primaries are on a transparency.

Anything other than simply changing the cluster bulbs will not be quick/cheap/easy.

Thanks for helping me so much. What do U think is the best solution?? Replacing the bulb won't actually light up the secondary numerals if it's already limited to just lighting up the primaries right? My only option (not easy/cheap/fast) is to find the correct aftermarket cluster yes??

One last question...where do I suggest I look for this aftermarket cluster?

KombatVirus

Reaction score
I never had an issue with seeing the kms on my car at night, if that is what you are talking about. It is a US car as well. They are more dull but they still light up

lektrix

Reaction score
I never had an issue with seeing the kms on my car at night, if that is what you are talking about. It is a US car as well. They are more dull but they still light up

Mine are completely blacked out at night, I can only see them if there is daylight. So they ARE supposed to light up?? Hmmmmmmmm... does anyone here have a night picture of what the dash is actually supposed to look like with all the lights working properly??

Is there a one-bulb replacement that can fix it all?? even the fuel warning light isn't working so I wonder what else is dead.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I just remembered I do have gauge overlays, so that might be keeping enough light from passing through to illuminate the KPH numerals. But when I did a quick image search for 6GA clusters lit at night, none of them showed the secondaries… I’ll double check on my extra cluster tonight when I get home to be sure.

You could try swapping to a 6GA KPH cluster, look up MikeyMike's car. Or check out some glow gauge kits.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Mines definitely light up at night. My car is a US vehicle, and here in Canada we use Kms, so its a must for me to see them. I'll snap a pic and post it here tonight

lektrix

Reaction score
Mines definitely light up at night. My car is a US vehicle, and here in Canada we use Kms, so its a must for me to see them. I'll snap a pic and post it here tonight

Do U know how to fix it? is there a separate bulb for the KM/H numerals??

Back