Car alarm turns on when I turn on the car

Drami5

Reaction score
I've been having this problem, where I turn on the car to start and the alarm goes off, and it's annoying due to the fact that I cannot shut it off and have to wait for it to shut down itself. That's not the only time it turns on, I can drive when it shuts down at first but when I get to my destination and get out of my car, the alarm turns on again.

I never really payed attention to it until recently, where it has happened at least 3 times in the last 6 days. It's embarrasing too.

Any ideas on how I can shut it down myself? I'm thinking of taking the fuse box but I don't want to do that.

It's a 99 Accord Coupe

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a problem with the fob? Stuck button or internals?

It should shut off any time you unlock the doors with the remote or inside, or if you start the car.

Drami5

Reaction score
No, I don't have a fob. And no I tried to turn the car off and on again and it still went on. Also opened the door, locked and unlocked and still went on going..:confused:

schmiddr2

Reaction score
An alarm without having the fob may be part of the problem. Are you saying this is the OEM alarm?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
First I'd try shaking the doors.

I mean, our alarm does have a setting to 'auto-lock', so I don't know if you had it on.

Inside, with alarm set, shake doors to see if you have a dieing switch. Also jiggle the key, in all positions, see if stuff turns on or off.

Last, yea, pull fuse, I'm kinda lost until I see the wiring schematic. You may loose pwr locks w/o fuse, idk, need diagram,

schmiddr2

Reaction score
My guess is the car is not being unarmed before starting.

Can someone with an OEM alarm tell us whether the alarm goes off when opening the door without using the fob?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yes, it does.

BTW: experiment with slimjim, it's fun to learn (but not usefull on your car, since you can get in)

james'99

Reaction score
If you have an EX submodel, there is an electrical switch that arms and disarms the alarm per the key on the back of the lock cylinders in the doors. If you have an LX with the dealer installed "factory" alarm, you may experience issues like this without disarming the system per the remote.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Wow, there ya go!

Forgot about ex's having this. It just seems so 'naturual' with a broken fob.

Back