Car Audio Newb: Assistance Needed

Stunna1

Reaction score
well first you should just get a 1 ohm stable amp.(2 Dual 4ohm speakers create a 1 ohm load)
and with the rms being 600 i would go a little higher because some amps just dont put out the correct power. so i would get a 1500 watt @1 ohm load amp and you should be set... :)

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
what's djp is saying... is just be careful how you adjust your amp.

the amp doesn't have a volume knob - it has a "gain" knob - the higher you turn the gain up, the more the amp amplifies the incoming signal = more noise. but as you turn the gain up, you get more distortion. and distortion will kill subs.

if you want cheap + reliable, I have an [url="http://www.edesignsaudio.com]elemental designs[/url] amp that is fricking awesome, and they are a great deal too.

for 2 dual 4 ohm subs you need to run them at either 1 ohm or 4ohms, so keep that in mind when you're looking at amps. lower ohm rating you run the amp at typically means more power the amp will be pushing out, but that low of a resistance also causes amps to generate a lot of heat so if you want to run them @ 1ohm make sure the amp can handle it

pattywak

Reaction score
djpm, I already have the subwoofers they were given to my by my sister for my birthday. My friend is supplying the box, he doesn't need it anymore. So all I need is the amp, and i'm looking for which one I should buy.

Stunna, so you are saying when I am shopping around I should look for one that says 1500 watt@1ohm? angel was saying to get one at 500-600 x 2 @ 2 or 4 ohms. Ahh I'm starting to get confused.

Which would be better to get? 500-600 x 2 @ 2 ohms or 500-600 x2 @ 4 ohms?

angelplus

Reaction score
well I went to bed last night and passed out... so anyways, I'd go with a 600RMS max amp, becuase they are adjustable. A good amp that I would recommend would be the Audiobahn amps. Truly, I dont think that you could go wrong with them, and they hit harder then any other kicker or other high end amp. I've actually proved it so whoever disagrees ;) But, I know that MA audio makes a promising amp also. Rockford fosgate isn't that bad either. Some people think that they're the best, until they've heard others. Over all I think that they're over rated. Hope this helps when you're looking for amps.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
hmmm lol... me and angel have different views on the brands out there. which is good, b/c then you don't hear just one side of things.

if you run 500 watts, or run 1500 watts, the subs will be loud. if its your first system, i would suggest to just stick with 400-750wrms @ 4 ohms. trying to run something @ 1ohm takes more know-how, because amps will overheat so they need to be installed decently and so on.

this is my eD amp, elemental designs amps are underrated so that one actually does closer to 1500wrms@1ohm, and 550wrms or so @ 4ohms.

you can also save some money by bridging a stereo amp. honestly there are few brands that I would trust nowadays to bridge their stereo amps, because stereo amps run hot to begin with, and when you bridge them they run hotter. So they are way more likely to overheat than monoblock amps.

Call me a brand ***** I don't really care, but I've had nothing but awesome experience with my eD amp & home theater sub, and would suggest you look at this or this

angelplus

Reaction score
Wildman said:
hmmm lol... me and angel have different views on the brands out there. which is good, b/c then you don't hear just one side of things.

if you run 500 watts, or run 1500 watts, the subs will be loud. if its your first system, i would suggest to just stick with 400-750wrms @ 4 ohms. trying to run something @ 1ohm takes more know-how, because amps will overheat so they need to be installed decently and so on.

this is my eD amp, elemental designs amps are underrated so that one actually does closer to 1500wrms@1ohm, and 550wrms or so @ 4ohms.

you can also save some money by bridging a stereo amp. honestly there are few brands that I would trust nowadays to bridge their stereo amps, because stereo amps run hot to begin with, and when you bridge them they run hotter. So they are way more likely to overheat than monoblock amps.

Call me a brand ***** I don't really care, but I've had nothing but awesome experience with my eD amp & home theater sub, and would suggest you look at this or this

haha cody, the thing that I like about the audiobahns are that they actually have 1 - 2 fans in their amps. But, like you said, there is a major price difference with them. So thats up to you if you would want to spend more money and what not...

Yeah, most people have their brand of sub/amp that they like the best, and me, its inifinity subs, and audiobahn amps ;)

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
yeah audiobahn is good about cooling but from a few years ago they used to distort moreso than other amps you could buy for the same kind of cash. rf actually makes a pretty good amp though, surprisingly considered they are mainly sold at BB & CC

djpm05

Reaction score
Wildman said:
yeah audiobahn is good about cooling but from a few years ago they used to distort moreso than other amps you could buy for the same kind of cash. rf actually makes a pretty good amp though, surprisingly considered they are mainly sold at BB & CC

RF amps are still good amps, not as good as they used to be, but not bad.

as far as the box, don't get a friend's box and use that, it won't be the correct airspace for the subs, and it can also hurt them, or at very least make them sound like ****. if you want the system to last you need to make sure everything works well together, subs, amps, wiring, etc. and if you're pushing 1500 watts you're going to need a cap, kinetik, extra battery, etc. if the subs say 1500 watts but don't really do that, then you should be fine, it all depends on the company.

there are tons of things to understand about car audio, and personally I would go to a custom shop around your area if you want to get an amp. find one that people seem to like, and talk to them ask them what they think. :p

angelplus

Reaction score
^^^^

They will always rip you off. Internet is your best friend.

www.crutchfield.com has a lot of useful information that you can learn about car audio. You can even call them and ask questions. Though, their prices are extremely high, asking a few questions wouldn't hurt.

pattywak

Reaction score
djpm05 said:
RF amps are still good amps, not as good as they used to be, but not bad.

as far as the box, don't get a friend's box and use that, it won't be the correct airspace for the subs, and it can also hurt them, or at very least make them sound like ****. if you want the system to last you need to make sure everything works well together, subs, amps, wiring, etc. and if you're pushing 1500 watts you're going to need a cap, kinetik, extra battery, etc. if the subs say 1500 watts but don't really do that, then you should be fine, it all depends on the company.

there are tons of things to understand about car audio, and personally I would go to a custom shop around your area if you want to get an amp. find one that people seem to like, and talk to them ask them what they think. :p

Why couldn't I use my friend's box? His box was made for two 12" subs....I don't see why I couldn't use it.

I understand not being able to use it if he just made it out of like wood and ghetto rigged it, but this box was one he actually used and did fine with. He just upgraded to three 12" subs in a box, which is why he's not using his other box.

Back