Car died on me today.

98CG5

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive done a little researching after my car sputtered on me and didnt start. I keep seeing that the Main Relay(Fuel Pump Relay) is normally the issue. It died and didnt start anymore after that. It will crank, but wont start. Battery is in great condition, starter works, Only two things I would question is Timing and fuel. Before it died, the car ran Perfect. It was about 92 degrees today when it happened and i read that in most cases, it was hot when people had similar issues occur. Help!

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Well a car needs electricity, fuel, and spark.

So obviously it cranks so power and starter is good.

Does it have spark? If so then the only thing left is fuel. Which you're right, is probably caused by the main relay

98CG5

Reaction score
Thank you sir. And Yes, I checked and it had spark. Just wanted to make sure. I wonder how much itll run me for a new Relay...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you don't hear your fuel pump prime, then it could be the main relay. Leave your doors open for a few minutes, then, try starting it. Worth looking for one at a junk yard.

98CG5

Reaction score
Well. Went out to the car today, the pump comes on and the Relay clicks on too...so the relay is ruled out. Electricity, Fuel...Spark could be an issue. I pulled the #2 plug wire off yesterday trying to check for spark. Its the only plug wire I pulled. So, Im leaving it in the hands of the mechanic. Its gonna set me back a little but I have to have it fixed. I was really hoping it was the Relay...smh

98CG5

Reaction score
Update. Firestone called stating it was the Distributor. I just ordered one and after work tomorrow I'll be installing it. Them things are expensive...

98CG5

Reaction score
Update. Firestone techs are idiots. I bought a distributor, installed it correctly, and still, No Start. I went under the dash and tapped the Main Relay and had a friend try to start the car. The car "Tried" to start which let me know to pull the Main Relay. I cracked it open to find a crack on one of the solder joints and I soldered the bad joint. I will find out if this is the fix once I get off of work. Im going to check for fuel pressure also. Im kinda pissed but as long as Im back driving again, Ill be okay.

Last edited:

98CG5

Reaction score
So. I replaced the Main Relay with a brand new one. No Start. There is fuel pressure at the rail, not sure if its sufficient. There is spark. The pump comes on and the relay clicks twice like it should.

I replaced the distributor, cap, and rotor. I replace the main relay...Im at the point where I may get rid of the car in the next few days. Does anyone have anything? Anyone have a similar issue? Please share. The dealer I bought the car from is towing it to his mechanic tomorrow morning and he will have an answer in the afternoon.

nsjames

Reaction score
did firestone tell you why they thought it was distributor?

is the spark a fat blue/white or yellowish?

Back