Car dies during Driving

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 99 Accord EX V6 Coupe.

My car will sometimes die when I am driving. Today, it died on the highway, which was not good. It will just quit, all my gauges go down as well. This has happened on the highway, and during a huge thunderstorm. I then have to get off the road, put it in park, and then turn it back on. After that, it works fine.

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks,
Evan

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Main relay or ignition switch maybe ? Check both. They're cheap/free fixes.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I've replaced the main relay already, because it also wouldnt start in hot weather. That fixed that, but that could be it

001Stunna

Reaction score
If you've done the main relay already then 99% its your ignition switch. For a cost of about $50 i'd just replace it. It involves 3 screws for lower kick panel, 3 screws for wheel lower cover, 2 tabs for top cover, 3 screws for switch cover, 2 connectors for switch itself.

I actually ordered mine today as mine started getting jiggy with me this past week 3 times already.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
probably the ignition switch. it's a recall, so the dealership is supposed to do it for free. when mine was bad, i brought my car to them, and left a little later with all of my money and a brand new ignition switch installed.​

001Stunna

Reaction score
probably the ignition switch. it's a recall, so the dealership is supposed to do it for free. when mine was bad, i brought my car to them, and left a little later with all of my money and a brand new ignition switch installed.​

Out of curiosity was your car listed on the recall vin# ranges or not?
All the dealers i contacted around me claim my vin# is not a part of it and hence they claim no responsibility on it.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know if it's on the VIN list, but it should be.
I saw the recall today, and I'm about 99% sure it's that as well.
Honda says its a safety recall, but I don't know if they will take mine due to my aftermarket fogs and my Alpine Radio. I assume you have to be bone stock for them to take it for free.
Otherwise it's $50, and I can do that. But I'll go see what Honda says today

Back