Car feels slower

MandoMonst3r

Reaction score
So I had made a post about installing a header on my I4 vtec 2000 accord. Im learning to live with the whistle sound I cant get it to go away so im kinda giving up. The thing is I feel like the car is slower after I installed the after marker headers and when I punch it sometimes it feels sluggish. All I have done to it is the short ram intake and the header. Might it help If I got a High flow Cat and Exhaust instead of the stock cat and exhaust or will that just make it worse? or should I just say F it and put my stock one back on. Just looking for some opinions Im not expecting high Hp gains or anything lmao its just a 4cyl just wanted it to work like stock but make a nice sound.

danmccormick87

Reaction score
I think I see your issue... You said you're running the stock exhaust? That right there is why your car is slower. Headers are designed to open up and maximize exhaust flow. The factory headers are design to run adjacent with your factory exhaust. You can always replace from Cat back, but should never the opposite unless it's with OEM products. This is why you might notice you're CG running slower. My guess, you have optimized your exhaust flow, and when it's hitting your catalytic converter and stock exhaust, it's not able to continue to flow the way it needs too. Call it a wild guess, but I'm thinking this is why you are having issues. Could also explain why you hear a whistling, since the exhaust flow is looking for somewhere to go while fighting pressure.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
You won't feel hp gain from replacing h/i/e, (or my car would have 300hp by now)it's putting out all it's horsepower stock. Plus it's a relatively heavy car. By adding exhaust,you may lose your back pressure, and feel even less power. To solve your problem, if you put you stock header back on, you will be able to see if the whistle is gone, and if your power restores. Also remember, the car drove with the same setup for over 10 yrs, it might not feel the same right after modding

MandoMonst3r

Reaction score
Im gonna get a cat back exhaust and high flow cat and see if that helps fist if not ill just slap all my stock stuff back on it and just replace the flex pipe on the stock header. Thanks guys this forum is really helpful hah.

Back