Car Insurance at 18?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Okay, my dad has finally decided to tell me to either get my own insurance, or help pay him with me on his insurance plan. I want to know what insurance plans you guys had at this age, or if you are 18, what you have right now.

My record is clean, and the insurance just for myself on a white accord is frickin $2100. This is with my Dad's car insurance plan with Liberty Mutual. And what's funny is that even though my bro has an extensive record with traffic violations, just because he's 21 his insurance is $1400. Per month for me, that'll be about $175. Anyone pay cheaper than that? I'm looking for the most affordable insurance out there.

I'm still researching other car insurance companies but is $175 a lot? decent? Plus, if I pay through Liberty Mutual from my Dad, it'll be easy because I just have to hand him cash and he'll take care of the other crap like expiration and all. I'll get some more quotes from other insurance companies and post em here.

honda_dude

Reaction score
yea when ur 18 it cost alot!! I am 18 as well. It would be cheaper if you stay with ur dad on his policy. It you go get ur own, it will cost way more. My dad has allstate and they offer lots of discounts such as good student discount which depends on ur skool GPA and there is a many other discounts.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I don't think we have full coverage. All our cars are used and paid in full so there's really no need for it. I just got a quote from Geico, frickin $278.88 per month for the entire year. Gonna get a few more quotes and see what's up, but it looks to me like you're right honda_dude, it's much more expensive by going my separate way.

Btw, does car insurance build up credit in any way?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Man and here I was thinking of getting a factory turbo'd car. If my accord is this much, can't imagine a turbo car like STI or EVO.

honda_dude

Reaction score
dont tell ur insurance u hav a STI or EVO...tell them you hav a regular lancer or impreza ..they will never kno, its not like they go an inspect ur car

nexTOme

Reaction score
ummmm

try to get multiple quote from agencies who search for cheapest insurance for you. there are number of insurance company not very well-known, offers very cheap insurance.

plus, if getting a liability only isnt problem for you, then liability is the def. the way to go.

im 21, i only pay 49 per month now. liability, nothing extra on that; not even uninsured motorists coverage (although, im thinking about adding this onto my premium). but then again, this is maybe because of my age and all.

also, you can always work things out with your agencies, as if you were engaged or even married (im married to my gf according to my insurance company :hihi:), or you have years of driving experience outside of US(i have 15 years of driving experience.....i know that means i started to driving when i was 6 ROFL! but agency was encouraging me to do that...:ugh:....so im like......w/e)

insurance company always offer things like, "good student", "good driver", "multiple vehicle insurance"....so read your declaration and all the junk came in your mail, try to get quotes from agencies who shops for you.

hope it helps. :D

nexTOme

Reaction score
dont tell ur insurance u hav a STI or EVO...tell them you hav a regular lancer or impreza ..they will never kno, its not like they go an inspect ur car

can i tell them i have civic?

:hide:

NINaudio

Reaction score
My record is clean, and the insurance just for myself on a white accord is frickin $2100.

I'll be 30(!!!!) next month and I still pay $1800/year with no accidents or tickets on my insurance...

I would think you'd be able to find just liability insurance for cheaper than that though.

Last edited:
Back